5/365: The Scale of the Problem [5]


Although to be honest, I don't really class this as a problem.  They're books. A lot of books admittedly, but how can books be considered a problem?

This isn't all the books in the house; the ones I've already sorted and decided to get rid of can be seen here and the ones you can see in this photograph still have to be sorted. This is what happens when you've leave a house where there were seven full-to-the-brim bookcases and move to a house where there are only two bookcases. 
 
The books piled up on the floor will probably all be staying.  There's about 20 books that I reread from time to time, so they will go straight back into the bookcase, and the rest of the novels are waiting to be read ... well, there are a few I'll let go, but the rest (although it looks a lot) is only about one year worth of reading.  I usually read over 75 books a year and will get through these easily once they are organised. One of the piles on the floor is my research notes from compiling the family tree, all of that is obviously staying - I just need to find a home for it.
 
The books on top of the unit, back right of the photo, are mostly cook books and I'll probably let them go as I haven't used them for ages.  I tend to search on the Internet for recipes now. 
 
All the rest are music books, and these need a good sort out, probably reducing the stack by at least 50%.  Of the ones that are going, some will be used at band and the rest will be sold.  Once I finish teaching, I'll be able to get rid of a lot more, only keeping the ones I need for my own playing.
 
Then it's on to the task of disposing of the books.  The majority will be sold either at auction, on eBay or Amazon, or at a car boot sale.  I'll also sort out a big pile to take to the Royal United Hospital in Bath as they sell second hand books to raise funds.  I have a couple of sets of children's books which I'll give to one of my schools (as I know my family don't want them).  Ladkyis suggested bookcrossing which is one option, or I may take the remainder either to the charity shop or to the local 'library in a telephone kiosk'. 
 
I have no idea how long this is going to take.  Wish me luck!

Comments

  1. I love books but have to admit I read them and then take them to the charity shop so not so much build up. I have also gone to an e reader for my light reading but still like the book feel for non fiction x good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found that disposing of those that were just taking up space was very liberating. You are so organised anyway that this will be a walk in the park for you. The most frustrating bit is all the stuff that is going to happen later. When I decide then I want it to happen now, I hate waiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's my problem as well! I'm not good at waiting at all once I've made up my mind.

      Delete
  3. Good luck my friend- I wish I could find the time to read!!!
    Thank you for your comment on my post about the loss of my grandmother. I truly appreciate it
    Hope 2015 is such a blessed year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My first thought when I saw the photo this morning was 'oh my' that still went through my head having just seen it again. Good luck. lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My own book piles ARE a problem - in that those I'm not sure about I just keep moving them around, but not moving them out. I mean to sell some, give some to charity shops and sort the rest for bookcrossing. Yes, like Ladkyis I also enjoy passing books on in this way, there is a sense of fun (even mischief sometimes!) and paying it forward. I have BOXES of books I want to pass on, I really do need to follow your example!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts