The Year In Books | January 2015

The Year In Books is organised by Laura over at Circle of Pine Trees.  I followed it from the side-lines for most of last year but am taking the plunge and joining in for the first time.
 
My January reads have sort of been chosen for me, or to be more accurate, some of my January reads have been chosen for me. I belong to two book groups so at the very least I will read those two books in January, but I hope to revive my reading habit and polish off a few more before the month is ended. 
 
The selected book for the first book group is The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. This was chosen as a complete contrast to our December book, which was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot: a thoroughly engrossing non-fiction read which prompted lots of discussions and which I would recommend to anyone.  However, it wasn't a light hearted read and that was what we all felt we needed next, hence The Rosie Project, which is marketed as an hilarious, feel good novel. I've started it today and hope to read it all in one go.
 
The choice of the other book group is The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng. I'm not sure about this one, it's not my usual genre.  I need to have read it by the 20th so I'll start it as soon as I finish The Rosie Project, just in case it proves hard to read.
 
Apart from those two, I'll tackle at least a couple of the books from my to-be-read pile.  Top of the pile is probably A Tap on the Window by Linwood Barclay (which I started back at the end of November but put to one side when the Christmas madness started) and I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes.  No idea what will follow next, it'll depend on my mood!

To see what others are reading or to join in yourself, click here.

Comments

  1. Thanks for joining in! I loved The Rosie Project, when I read it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Eileen, nice to meet you. I joined in with Laura's 'a Year In Books' last year and loved it, I will be joining in again this year too. I found some great reads, and some lovely blogs. I hope you enjoy 'The Rosie Project'. I read it last year for my book group ( non virtual) and absolutely loved it! I have the follow up, 'The Rosie Effect' on my 'to read' shelf. I will pop back to find out how you got on with your book choices at the end of the month ( if not before, as I am somewhat intrigued by your 'decluttering' photographs!). X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loosely following a reading challenge elsewhere too. I am looking forwards to the twists and turns it will take. Shall keep an eye on the books you're reading for ideas!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might remember to do this. It is my kind of thing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! I'm joining for the first time, too! My mother-in-law has suggested I read The Rosie Project on more than one occasion and on holiday this year noticed she'd loaned it to my sister-in-law too! I've not read it yet but hear good things about it, so I'll be interested to hear what you think about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved The Garden of Evening Mists and still remember the story (which often is not the case as I read so many books) and the lovely calm that it oozed

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Rosie Project, looking forward to hearing what you thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't heard of any of there books so will be interested to hear what you make of them. Visiting from A Year in Books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi

    I read the Rosie Project recently after it was recommended on here and by a work colleague. I really enjoyed it and I'm wondering whether the follow up The Rose Effect is going to be as good.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts