Wednesday, 25 March 2015

The Alphabet Project | K is for Keys

Linking with PODcast's Alphabet Project and the letter K ...

Here are three keys from my collection.  From this angle they just look like ordinary keys.  They are  not a set; the one on the left is much earlier than the other two and, although the others look to be the same, the collars are different.  Have a look at the second photo to see what is unusual about them.

They are chatelaine keys and would have hung from the belt of the housekeeper in a large house.  When she looked along the shaft of the key she was able to quickly select the correct key, just by looking at the number.

8 comments:

  1. oh wow, yes, aren't they different! Never seen a key with a bend before. x #alphabetphoto

    ReplyDelete
  2. How interesting, I've not seen keys like this before! Brilliant K. #alphabetphoto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh wow what a awesome set of keys never seen any like that before. #alphabetproject

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fascinating! Do you have more like this? I wonder how high the numbers would go in a big house...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the only ones I have but I have seen one with a number 4. I don't think these were door keys as they are not that big - a bit smaller than the back door key we used to have in our childhood home. I should think the size makes them more likely to be for locking cupboards.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea. Love the ingenuity. Really interesting. I shall have to look out for similar ones. #AlphabetPhoto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius! No fumbling over which one to use! #alphabetphoto

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these, what a fascinating history :)

    ReplyDelete