The Simple Woman's Daybook - Thursday 16th July 2015

FOR TODAY - THURSDAY JULY 16TH 2015
 
Outside my window ...  it's cloudy, and there's a cool breeze.  
 
I am thinking ... about my long term plans for this house and debating whether I might be better off by moving to a smaller house which is closer to town. It's still just a thought at present as there are pros and cons for staying here and also for moving.  I can't do anything about it for the foreseeable future as I'm still storing my friend's things and I still have a lot of other things I'd need to dispose of before downsizing could be a viable option for me.

I am thankful ... for the long summer break and the time to indulge my many interests.

In the kitchen ... I'm trying out a new curry recipe, from the cooking demonstration I went to last week.

I am wearing ... blue!  Skirt and t-shirt, but it's a bit on the chilly side today so I need to find a cardigan to wear.

I am creating ... order out of chaos.  I have two boxes of band music here, which I'm sorting into the correct order in each folder and then updating a database with information about each set of music.  It's time consuming but a necessary task and at least there is no timescale for completion - I'm currently working on A - C of the junior band music, so there is lots more to do.  I just want to get these two boxes finished by tomorrow night so that I can return them on Saturday as that's the final practice for this academic year, and I don't want them hanging about the house all summer.

I am going ... round and round in circles, trying to learn a new piece for the piano.  I think I have bitten off more than I can chew and may have to put it away for a while and choose something a little easier for now!

I am wondering ... whether I'll ever get the hang of crocheting! People make it look so easy but I really struggle with it.

I am reading ... Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.  It's a book group read which I have to have read by Tuesday so I need to get a move on.
 
I am hoping ...  that my car passes its MOT and that it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg for repairs.
 
I am looking forward to ... getting my new camera, a Canon 7D. Well it's a new-to-me one and has been owned by the seller for just under three years; it was her reserve camera so has hardly been used and I think I've got it for a bargain price.  She is delivering it this afternoon, in about an hour, and I'm getting very excited!
 
I am learning ... to let go.  I've moved forward enough to start letting things go without getting upset about it.  I originally couldn't bear the thought of changing the furniture as it was something we'd chosen together, but now I'm ready for a change (although any purchases need to wait until I've made the decision whether to stay or move).
 
Around the house ...  there is evidence of decluttering.  There are piles of books which I'm donating to the Friends of the Royal United Hospital (where Ced was treated) for their fundraising.  There are yet more bags of paper to go to the skip when I get my car back.  There's sheet music everywhere (it feels like!) as I sort the junior band music and there are a couple of boxes stacked in the dining room containing the latest things I've listed for sale, waiting to be sold and posted.
 
I am pondering ... mostly about whether to move and downsize.  I don't really need a three bedroomed house just for myself, and moving to a smaller property will release enough funds to allow me to travel once I retire. 

One of my favourite things ... early morning walks along the canal towpath.
 
A few plans for the rest of the week ...
  • Friday: trying out my new camera
  • Saturday: final band practice in the morning followed by a visit to the Chinese Gardens in Westbury
  • Sunday: a trip to Bath to photograph Carter's Steam Fair
  • Monday: nothing planned
  • Tuesday: the art course in the morning and the book group meeting in the evening
  • Wednesday: nothing planned
  • Thursday: nothing planned
A peek into my day ... this morning I went into town to get the cash to pay for the camera and, as I was car-less, it took up most of the morning.  I'm now waiting for the camera to be delivered and then the rest of the day will be divided between playing with my new toy and sorting band music.
 
A favourite quote for today ...
 
"It's never too late to be what you might have been." unknown
 

Comments

  1. Wonderful to have so many carefully planned projects! Wish come true! I also think that it's never too late to learn and accomplish our projects,))!! Hugs and good luck! (Portugal is a country small and has lots of events especially in summer;))! It's just a matter of being able to enjoy!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your style of writing Eileen, and this glimpse into your day. How exciting to have a new camera, have lots of fun with it! I need to think of a replacement for mine. It is a bridge camera which I love, but the zoom has been sticking and I use it constantly. Someone suggested I spray it with WD40 but I am wary....
    Moving is a huge decision, good thing to take your time thinking about it. What ever the outcome, decluttering is a good thing and it looks like you have some fun days planned this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd want to put WD40 on it myself. Depending on the cost, I'd opt to have it serviced.

      Delete
  3. I never could figure out crocheting though I could knit. There are such cute patterns for crocheted items too. It is hard to decide about downsizing or even where to go if you decide to downsize. We are struggling with that ourselves on what to buy when the other house sells in the other state. I'd be content in a 1 bedroom apartment but I am married to a musician, LOL, who enjoys his guitars and amps, etc. :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean ... all my instruments and the music is part of the problem as they take up so much space.

      Delete
  4. Hoping that you are having lots of fun with your new camera. A crocheting hook in my hands could be considered a weapon. Moving for any reason is always a hard decision, I think as you quietly go on your canal walks, the universe just may reveal it's plans for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts