The Year in Books | July 2015


First up was The Piano Teacher by Janice Y K Lee, a book group read.  I have to say I remained fairly neutral about this book, and am not sure whether I liked it or not.  As far as I was concerned it was a bit of a strange book in that, in my opinion, I couldn't really see the need for the eponymous character!  The book group only gave it a 6 out of 10.

The other book group read was A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman.  I loved this and just didn't want it to end. It was a bit of a slow starter but if you do decide to read it, stick with it.  It picks up after the first few chapters and I guarantee that it's worth the initial effort.

I also read The Telling Error by Sophie Hannah, another one I remained fairly neutral about.  I usually enjoy her books but in this one I found the main character rather irritating and some aspects of the storyline a bit sordid.
 
I started reading The Way Inn by Will Wiles, but didn't finish it and I'm not sure I will.  It was a bit boring!
 
So all in all, and with the exception of a Man Called Ove, not a good month on the reading front.  I hope this month is better.  I'll be reading:
  • No Safe House by Linwood Barclay,
  • Olive Kittering by Elizabeth Strout, and
  • Time for Rain, Tan Twan Eng

Linking with Circle of Pine Trees.

Comments

  1. I also thoroughly enjoyed A Man Called Ove. I think I know him (lol).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it's not me that's had a recent slump in the reading department. All seems to have been restored so far in July and long may it continue. I have read two or three Sophie Hannah novels. I'm not a huge fan which is a shame as she went to school with my sister in law and have many memories of her visiting at my in laws as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved a Man called Ove too! Like you it took me a while to get going with it but then I was hooked and was sorry when it ended! Haven't had that response to a book for quite a while! Have you read The Language of Flowers? It is my favourite book of the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not yet but it's on my list to read.

      Delete
  4. Ive been thinking about 'A Man Called Ove', seen many reviews, mostly positive, so after reading yours, I think I'll give it a go. Yet another for the waiting to be read bookcase....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Olive Kittering; it was interesting. I haven't read any of the others you listed. I finished the Reluctant Midwife (can't remember the author right now) but enjoyed that. Currently reading GI Brides which is also interesting.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know any of the four authors you write about, although Sophie Hannah does trigger a faint memory. Sordid doesn't sound inviting. I know I have read the Linwood Barclay book but I cannot remember what it was about.... looking forward to a reminder next month. Happy reading. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are all unknown books to me Eileen, I will look out for A Man called Ove but give the others a miss! I hope this months list is more to your liking.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts