Zen Things

Sandie over at itchifingers posted this list of Zen Things on Facebook yesterday.
  1. do one thing at a time
  2. do it slowly and deliberately
  3. do it completely
  4. do less
  5. put space between things
  6. develop rituals
  7. designate time for certain things
  8. devote time to sitting
  9. smile and serve others
  10. make cleaning and cooking become meditation
  11. think about what is necessary
  12. live simply
What can I say?  It's a list and you know how I love lists! Joking apart, I think this approach is just what I need to sort out myself and my life.  I've already worked out that I need some routine in my life and I know that I tend to take on too much.  I have a butterfly mind and am easily distracted (!) so things sometimes take longer than they should because I'm trying to do too many things at once.
 
I started with this approach yesterday.  I finished my teaching commitments and had to sort out my invoices and all the associated paperwork, something I don't like doing and which usually takes me two or three days to complete.  Well, yesterday I focused on one thing at a time, didn't allow myself to get distracted, completed each task once I'd started it and allowed myself breaks in between each task.  The end result, as you'd expect, is that I got everything over and done with yesterday morning and it's a big relief not to have it hanging over me at the start of the holiday.  And I still had time in the afternoon to do some photos and visit friends, and to go to a cooking demonstration last night. 
 
Today has been a little different though and I admit to mainly concentrating on no.4 and no.8!  I've done absolutely nothing and have spent all day so far just lounging on the sofa.  I don't seem to be able to get my brain in gear today for some reason.
 
I'd like to get back to doing some daily meditation.  I got out of the habit when I was caring for Ced, but I think it's time to revisit it.  It did make a difference back then, and I'm sure it will do now.  It's time for some positive changes and I have the next eleven weeks to focus on this approach and see the difference it can make.

Comments

  1. Funny how once we put our mind to completing something once done it is such a relieve and wasn't as bad as we thought it would be in the first place!! Well done. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having "one of those days" as well today, there must be something in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is good to have the list as a suggestion and then modify it for what works best for you.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound advice indeed!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great list Eileen, and I'm glad you liked it. I plan to post it on my wall, because I too need to practice these. Sometimes we need to listen to our body so after a productive day it isn't a bad thing to chill. Hopefully another day will follow where you get back on track. Good luck with the meditation, did you know there are free ones available. I have signed up to several in the past, offered by Deepak Chopra. Let me know if you are interested and I will send you a link.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts