The Year in Books | October 2015

It's been another good month for reading, finishing five books during September.
 
The first two were book group selections; one group chose Still Alice by Lisa Genova and the other went for I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh.  From the reviews I was expecting to really enjoy Still Alice but I was a little disappointed by it.  I enjoyed it up to a point but, for me, it was lacking in any depth of feeling by most of the character and I was frustrated by the lack of believable emotion in the book.  I Let You Go, however, lived up to expectations and was a thoroughly good read, and I didn't see the first twist in the tale coming at all.  I read this one in a day and was completely wrapped up in the story.
 
I finished off the Hunger Games trilogy with Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.  I didn't enjoy these two as much as I did the first one but am glad to have read the entire story, although I don't think I'll bother with the films!
 
My final read for the month was selected at random from the bookcase and was The Norfolk Mystery by Ian Sansom.  Set in the 1930s, I think the main character was supposed to be eccentric and amusing but I just thought he was completely irritating.  Add that to the fact that there wasn't really a murder or a crime to detect, and the resulting story was a disappointment.  I'd had high hopes for this one as it's the start of a series, but I won't bother with the rest.

I've chosen Personal by Lee Child to read in October and I'll also be reading The Well by Catherine Chanter, which is a book group choice.

Linking with Circle of Pine Trees

Comments

  1. Glad you enjoyed your reading, I hope that you enjoy your next books too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read, but watched the Hunger Game movies; looking forward to the last one to see how it all ends. Not sure I'll read the books now that I've seen the movies :) I never have been part of a book group; could be fun down the road to do so, would probably expand some of the books that I would read.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your books are new to me. How strange, I am a prolific reader. I do of course know of the Hunger Games, we have them on our shelves somewhere. It is a shame if characters in a book are really irritating. I have recently read a couple of crime fiction books by Tana French, both of which had irritating lead detectives. I read on only because I enjoyed the story itself.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts