Memorandum Monday

Monday greetings to Sian and all the Mondayers. 

Two new things to report this week.  Yesterday, for the first time, I visited the gardens of The Old Mill at Ramsbury , opened to the public as part of the NGS. It's an amazing place and I'm not sure I actually saw all of it - it seemed to go on for miles and every time I turned a corner, there was another part of the garden to explore. I took lots of photos but I can only share these two with you today as most of them will be saved as possible scavenger hunt entries.

the River Kennett runs through the gardens
one of the sculptures, near the house

My other thing is something new that I learnt.  I can't remember what prompted me to look into this, but I searched for the history of the ampersand and discovered that traditionally, when reciting the alphabet, it was common practice to add the '&' as the 27th letter.  Here's a link to more information about it if you are interested.

Hope you all have a good week with lots of interesting things planned.

Comments

  1. Now that I did not know! That's an interesting one and I'm thinking I could even turn that useful fact into a scrapbook page, given the number of ampersand stickers I seem to have accumulated. Thank you!

    Have a good week Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting tidbit about & - it is certainly a favourite of mine. Beautiful gardens & I like that sphere in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't say that I ever gave the history of the & any thought! Funny to think there is so much that we didn't even know we didn't know isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting about the ampersad, I didn't know that myself. Such pretty garden pictures!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love visiting gardens like that and look forward to seeing some of the others that you took.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Eillen, how are you?
    I had loved the garden picture and sculture.
    Thanks for visiting me.
    I wish you a great week end.
    Hugs, Ailime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely snapshots, and I love the tidbit about the &.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found the info about the & to be very interesting! Thank you for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts