In The Garden


There are lots of splashes of red around the garden as the crocosmia (Lucifer) comes into flower. The plant in the terracotta pot is leucothoe zeblid and is starting the change from its yellowy-green summer leaves to its deep burgundy autumn colour. The euonymus, in a pot just to the left of where I stood to take the photo, is also starting the transition and will soon be showing off its bright pink leaves.

I'm looking for ideas of small shrubs which are grown for their foliage and/or colour rather than for their flowers so if anyone has any suggestions it will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

  1. I have Lucifer round the front - that sounds odd but you know what I mean. It's such a bright splash of colour in a shady area.
    I would say anything variegated - and maybe you could look on the RHS site, if you can, or ask at a good local garden centre? Coleus is attractive but it's annual, I think.
    Oh, how about - bother, I've forgotten the names. It'll come back to me later . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, hostas was one of them - I know they attract slugs and snails but a few pellets keep them away. There's some good ideas here. https://www.gardendesign.com/plants/foliage.html
    It's come back to me - heuchera! There's so many different colours and shades and they are truly lovely, plus pretty easy to grow as well.
    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if any of my shrub suggestions would work for your climate. There are some small spireas that have lovely summer flowers & interesting foliage & without trimming stay in a mounded shape. Witchazel has the most interesting branch twist & turns for winter (no foliage) interest & pretty white flowers in spring. I think your local garden centre could help. My crocosmia is also blooming right now & the hummingbirds just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crocosmia in my garden blooms early in the spring and has orange flowers. Right now, it's so hot that the only flowers in my garden are the oleander and the lantana. It's been in the 90s (F), this week, but the forecast says we'll be back in the 100+ by the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden looks lovely. Everything is so dry and my pots are needing so much watering. My advice would be don't buy anything until this dry spell finishes. It will struggle in this weather even with watering.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts