Holiday Day 14 & Take Three Thursday

Day 14 of my holiday found me exploring Hereford Cathedral. As it also happens to be a Thursday, I'll share three of the photos for Mary-Lou's 'Take Three Thursday' and say a big thank you to Mary-Lou for organising this weekly meme. 

I joined a walking tour of the building, and also visited the Chained Library and Mappa Mundi Exhibitions. I've taken loads of photos (!) which I'll sort out once I get home so for today will share three taken in the Mappa Mundi exhibition. The Mappa Mundi is a medieval map of the known world dating from c.1300 and is the largest medieval map of its kind known to still exist. 

The first photos shows a modern copy of the map with all references translated into English.



Then there is a modern tactile version of the Mappa Mundi. It's life size, three dimensional and, 'by stripping away the visual content of the map, reveals a landscape that exposes the maker's marks, human interactions and conservation scars of its 700-year history.'


Finally, it's the Mappa Mundi itself ... protected behind glass in a special housing, illuminated by low lighting and maintained in a temperature controlled environment.



The map itself is difficult to read so I've included a link to an interactive version of the map which can be found here

Last night was the inter house quiz - we didn't win! Tonight it is the local food night with a five course meal to celebrate Welsh foods - obviously one of the courses is lamb but we couldn't quite work out how the vegetarian option, a Nepalese dish, can be classed as local. If I find out I will let you know!

Tomorrow is going home day. 

Comments

  1. I love that interactive Mappa Mundi, thanks.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very interesting old map! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link to the interactive map. I took a quick glance, but there is a lot to see and read! I will definitely go back and explore it!

    Hope you have a safe drive back home, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw this many years ago, but need to go back and look properly without a grumpy five year old in tow!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for taking the time to join in Take Three Thursday. The map is amazing, it makes you think of how they created something that has lasted this long & how did they know all those things. History, geography, art, language all rolled into one. Hope you enjoy the Local Cuisine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of the Mappa Mundi before ... interesting!
    Safe drive tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts