Holiday Day 9

I put my 'tourist' head on today and have been soaking up some of the Liverpool attractions. 

First a walk round the corner to a cafe recommended for their breakfast sandwiches ... only I didn't like the look of the place so wandered along to another place and had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. Then a bus into the city centre and a short walk to Albert Docks to join the 'hop on, hop off' City Explorer bus. There was a very funny tour guide on the bus which added to the experience, although I know the Scouse sense of humour isn't for everyone. The whole tour took about 50 minutes so I stayed on the bus for the entire route while I decided where I wanted to 'hop off'. 

First stop was the Anglican Cathedral. I didn't get to look around as the place was packed with people listening to an organ recital. I've been to this cathedral before so I wasn't too upset. I tried to listen to the recital but ... it was awful, too loud and just a cacophony of sound ... not my thing at all. So ... I did the tower tour instead, which thankfully uses lifts for most of it - the lift to the 4th floor, then stairs to the 5th floor, lift to the 10th floor and then 108 steps to climb to the top of the tower. Here's a couple of the photos I took from the top of the tower, the first one looking back towards the Catholic Cathedral (known to the locals as Paddy's Wigwam), and the second one looking across the Mersey to The Wirral.



After a very slow descent, I treated myself to a toasted sandwich and a refreshingly cold drink. The organ recital had finished by this time so I settled down on the sofa in the cafe and read my book. When I'd finished I was hoping to look around but it wasn't to be - they were setting up for a service so as I'd already spent about two hours inside, I went to wait for the bus.

My second 'hop off' was at St Luke's Church, which was bombed in 1941. I'd seen this statue on the first circuit of the bus and wanted to photograph it. It's called 'Truce', is by Andy Edwards, and commemorates the moment when British and German soldiers called a temporary truce during World War I.




I couldn't go inside as it had been hired for a private event, so from here I walked along the road into Chinatown to take a few photos, and then wandered back to the bus stop. I caught the last bus of the day so that meant I'd have to find my own way if I got off again. I stayed on until we reached the bus station and then puzzled out which bus I needed to get back to my temporary home. I had a lot of help - Liverpudlians are very friendly and helpful - and they put me on the correct bus, explained to the driver that I probably wouldn't recognise my stop, and waited to wave goodbye! The driver actually remembered and, when we reached my stop, pointed out my route home!

So a quick stop off in Tesco to buy something for my evening meal, and I'm home, looking forward to a relaxing evening.

Comments

  1. How wonderfully friendly to help you at the bus stop, people can be so kind. You wouldn't get such help here in Norfolk. The locals are very reserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Shame everywhere was so crowded out but you got some great snaps from the top of the tower... I haven't been to Liverpool for years. Maybe something to consider at some point.
    Lovin' these holiday posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those "hop on, hop off" buses sounds like a fun way to tour a place! That is a very powerful statue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great day and lovely and clear for photos from the top of the tower. How helpful and friendly to help you on your way like that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts