Take Three Thursday | Liverpool's Chinatown

I'm sharing three photos for Mary-Lou's 'Take Three Thursday' where we are asked to share three photos with a common theme. I've chosen three photos taken on the bus tour as we passed through Liverpool's Chinatown area. Liverpool's Chinatown is the oldest Chinese community in Europe, established in the 1830s when the first ship from China arrived in the port.   

The main routes into the area are guarded by a pair of lion dogs. This is the female with her paw restraining a pup. The male would have his paw resting on a ball.



The street signs are written in English and Chinese.



And the street lights are Chinese style lanterns with dragons entwined around the base.


Thanks go to Mary-Lou for organising this weekly link up.

Comments

  1. There's so much character in those photos.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have time to walk around this area but it's something I'd like to do on my next trip there. I think there'd be lots of interesting photo opportunities.

      Delete
  2. I like those street lights! The mama lion dog is pretty impressive, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The male is on the other side of the road, facing the same way as the female. There's also a massive arch which I'll include in another post.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining in Eileen - those are pretty amazing lanterns. It is interesting how different cultures settle into an area & make such a distinctive & positive impact. I chuckled at the two statues - the female lion dog is minding the children where as the male one gets to play ... I'll say no more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The symbolism reinforces that: the female looking after the pup represents nurture and the male with the ball, in Imperial terms, represents supremacy over the world.

      Delete
  4. It is indeed fascinating to see another culture so incorporated into one of our cities. I remember being intrigued the first time I went to Chinatown and loved wandering around their supermarkets .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean. The Liverpool Chinatown is due to be expanded so it'll be interesting to see how things develop.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts