It Was All Going So Well ...

... until the water leak that is!

Yesterday, J came to commission the shower. Everything was fine but about an hour after he left I could hear dripping water, which turned out to be water coming through from the attic and dripping down through the new cupboard. Cue buckets, cloths, and panicky phone calls and about 30 minutes later the cavalry arrived in the shape of D who sorted it all out. 

It seems that a small elbow joint had been damaged at some stage during the renovations and commissioning the shower resulted in this joint leaking. There was a huge pool of water in the attic (contained in the area above the shower and the corner of my bedroom) and this was leaking through the line of least resistance which was the new cupboard. He stopped the leak straight away, replaced the elbow joint and used his industrial vax type machine to remove all the excess water. When he left the ceilings upstairs looked fine but today there are water marks visible on the ceiling above the shower and one of the light units doesn't work. So far the bedroom ceiling and cupboard looks fine and the living room ceiling below doesn't seem to have been affected. 

Luckily it was fairly minimal damage. They will have to finance the replacement light but if the water damage to the ceiling can be covered with one coat of paint I'll stand that cost as the decorator will be here anyway. 

The sample of my curtain fabrics have arrived so I will try to post some photos tomorrow. I've been over to Corsham this morning to take yet more instruments for repair and for the rest of the day I'll be pottering about at home, catching up with a few chores. I have the house to myself today so I'm not getting in anyone's way!

Comments

  1. Oh, my. That could have been a lot worse than it actually was. Thank goodness it was discovered quickly.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't ruin the newly plastered walls and ceilings so the need to repaint one ceiling (the smallest one!) is a very good outcome from what could have been a disaster.

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I'm glad you caught it pretty early. It could have been a really big mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad I was at home when it happened.

      Delete
  3. Oh that really is a setback. Glad you spotted it in good time. I'm sure you know what you're doing, but in case it helps... I tried several coats of paint to cover up a water stain, and it kept coming through. In the end I found a spray you can use to "seal" it before painting. Worked first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that's really useful to know. Do you remember the name of the product you used please?

      Delete
    2. It's either at home, or I lent it to my parents... Either way the cannister is still somewhere so I will have a look and be in touch soonest.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you were home to notice the leak before it did more damage and you were able to get it fixed right away. I have some water damage in my kitchen ceiling which needs attention, but that's one of those things I haven't fixed, yet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts