My Simple Things

A slight change of plan because the electrician has turned up to finish the second fix on all the electrics so I can’t do any cooking until they’ve gone. It’s also another day of  trying to stay out of their way so there’s no sorting going on either. So a second post today as I’m a bit behind ... Bless and Sharon have already posted their Winter Joy lists so I’m playing catch-up.  

Here’s my list of simple pleasures I want to enjoy during the winter months ...

1. Hot chocolate. I think we all have this on our lists but my indulgence is hot chocoate with chilli, served in one of the town centre cafes and my treat after band practice on Saturdays.

2. Fresh flowers. To brighten my home during the winter months when there’s not much colour in the garden.

3. Photography on frosty mornings. I’m secretly hoping for snow as well, not too much, but just enough to get some wintery photos.

4. Fresh bread from the bakery, still warm. This used to be a regular treat after the weekly shopping but I haven’t bothered since I lost Ced. I'm looking forward to this as an occasional treat - fresh warm bread with homemade soup.

5. Playing solitaire. Using proper playing cards rather than playing online. I used to do this daily as a way of relaxing and taking a screen break, and lately I’ve realised how much I’ve missed doing this.

6. Walking on the beach. Sometimes I find myself longing for the simple pleasure of walking along the sands on a blustery day and blowing all those (mental) cobwebs away.

7. Cosy evenings spent with friends. Just relaxing at home with friends, chatting or watching TV/film.

8. Playing the piano. Well, trying to play it! It’s been too long and I’m itching to get started again. 

9. Long soaks in a bubble bath - I’ve missed having the use of a bath ... a shower just isn’t the same!

10. Early morning walks along the canal towpath. The best time for a walk with the early morning light.

Comments

  1. These are all lovely things, Eileen. I felt cheered just reading through them. Thank you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with low mood in January and February, so I'm hoping that these little pleasures will help me.

      Delete
    2. They should do, I think.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Small pleasures, small pleasures, who would deny us these?
    Great list. I am sure you'll derive great joy from these.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Ella. I'm especially looking forward to the hot chocolate with chilli - they make it with soya milk especially for me!

      Delete
  3. A very cozy list. Oh I do like the colours of your patio stones from your earlier post. Hopefully you'll be able to get that soup into the making soon. Oh yes to fresh warm baked bread but alas risen breads are off my list of things I should eat :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to cut down on the amount of bread I eat, so I'm opting to treat myself to better quality bread but to have it less of it.

      Delete
  4. What a great list! I love walking along the beach in winter. It gets really cold here, but there aren't that many people about and there is still such beauty around when everything else is dull and grey. I think I will certainly try to add some flowers to the house. It does get very tiring when everything is grey and I think flowers are just the thing to cheer the house (and me!) up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to live near the sea but houses are too costly so I have to make do with the occasional visit. At least it's only just over an hours drive to the coast.

      Delete
  5. Great idea. I've made a list on the pc of things I can do for free either inside or out during the winter months, so that if I'm struggling I've got a plan in place already. Jigsaws and having a bash at drawing feature on mine. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in the process of making a list of local places I can visit for free at any time of the year.

      Delete
  6. That is a great winter joy list, Eileen! I especially like No. 4! Good, warm bread! Yum! I debated putting playing the piano on my list, but, left it out for now. Might add that in, later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might even have a go at making my own bread again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts