Spices

Getting the house back in some sort of order is progressing nicely and I’m enjoying finding places for all the things I want to keep. The kitchen however, is long overdue a good clear out so as I need to find so more space it’s the focus of my sorting time today.

I started on the spices. For some reason, people think I use a lot of spices in my cooking; I use some but not the variety I have been gifted over the last few years and the additional two spice racks I received at Christmas are the straw that have broken this camel's back.


I emptied the spices cupboard onto the table and this is my collection of spices ... although, to be completely accurate, I should say that this was my collection of spices. I've been ruthless and got rid of over half the jars and the two turntable racks (but have kept some of the jars from those racks). I've only kept the ones I know that I'll use and my much reduced collection of spices now fits on one shelf in the cupboard ... much more sensible. 

I have a few admin type things to do today, assigned to me at the committee meeting last night, but they shouldn't take long to do. Then it's either some more sorting or, if I can find the energy, go out for a short walk to get some fresh air. 

I have three friends coming round tonight for our monthly Girls' Night In, arriving at 7pm for a takeaway, watch a film together and then chat. We'll also check diaries to arrange the next few dates for quizzes, cinema (assuming there are films that people want to see), the next Girls' Night In, and anything else that takes our fancy. I like to have something in the diary to look forward to.

Comments

  1. We put all our spices into a drawer next to the cooker, which is very handy when cooking and a perfect size for all our pots. Your evening tonight sounds great, a perfect way to get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to be able to do that but sadly no can do! I think I will have to fit something on the back of one of the cupboard doors to hold the spices, which will free up much needed space in the cupboard.

      Delete
  2. That's a fine collection ofr spices. I rather like the turntables but they're no use for keeping in a cupboard.
    Have a lovely evening.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the turntables but my kitchen is too small and usable work surface is at a premium. I did try to keep the taller of the two but the slightest movement of it meant that it pressed against the switch for the boiler and kept turning off the power supply!

      Delete
  3. Well done with sorting out all the spices! I have quite a collection, too, stored in two drawers next to my stove. They are in no particular order, and in various mismatched jars and containers, because I buy most of it in bulk and then, decant to containers.

    I hope you have a lovely evening with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've probably kept too many spices but I can always pass the fresher ones on to family. I'll see what I use over the next month or so.

      The evening was really good fun and we've arranged to do it again soon.

      Delete
  4. Very therapeutic, sorting and binning! You could have bagged the surplus spices up for me! I get through quite a lot!
    Hope you've had a good evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now you say! The ones that were dumped were really old when they were gifted to me so, in my defense, you probably wouldn't have wanted them anyway.

      The evening was a success. We watched Guardians of the Galaxy, chosen because I'd never seen it and they want to fill some of the gaps in my film knowledge. I liked it enough to borrow the DVD of the second film in the series.

      Delete
  5. That was quite the collection of spices. I don't really use a lot of spice, more herbs that spice & I have about 3 I use in the mains of cooking & another 4 for baking/cookies. I agree with Lady Ella, sorting & tidying is therapeutic & feels so good afterwards. Hope you had a lovely visit with your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really use that many but the friend who keep giving me all these spices hasn't really grasped that, no matter what I say. I use about 3 or 4 different spices from jars and the herbs I use are kept in the freezer until needed.

      Yes, the evening with friends went well and we'll be doing more of the same soon!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts