Sunday


I overslept! Luckily I haven't made any arrangements for today so the day is my own to do what I please. So far I've had breakfast (scrambled eggs on toast, a baby orange and a mug or two of coffee), checked my diary (definitely nothing on today!), and made of list of things I want to discuss at the band committee meeting tomorrow night. And that's it ... there's nothing else that desperately needs to be done so, once I finish typing this post, I am doing nothing! My book is ready and waiting for me, I found a cuddle blanket when I was looking for the missing sheets (but didn't find the sheets!) and I just need to close the blinds until the sun moves round to the back of the house ... I'm all set!

Strictly speaking, doing nothing isn't true as I'm thinking. A couple of comments yesterday (from Joy and Mary-Lou) helped clarify my thinking about doing a couple of hours of music lessons every week, so many thanks to both of you. Joy mentioned that I won't be dealing with school politics and restraints, and Mary-Lou referred to me 'returning to work'. Reading the comments was a bit of a light-bulb moment for me as I realised that in my head I categorise this potential teaching as an extension of band, which is just spending time doing something that I love and don't in any way see it as 'work'. The lack of school politics and restraints is a biggie to consider as without those impacting on life I would probably still be teaching, although maybe cutting down the workload. I can also choose who I teach, so won't be in the situation of trying to teach a child to play an instrument just because the parents want it - I've had to do too many lessons where the child simply didn't want to learn and the parents wouldn't listen ... not much fun for the child or me! I suppose the next step is to gauge the level of interest in blocks of private lessons and take it from there, but I think it's a 'yes' to teaching for a couple of hours after school every week. I actually feel quite excited about the thought of it!

Comments

  1. Good morning Eileen :) Lovely to find you through Kate's photo challenge and great to find another musician - when I was doing schools I used to call myself a paraPathetic teacher cos the only kids who wanted to do singing classes were either looking for bits of paper to say they'd done it, were trying to get out of Maths class, or their parents had made them come! It was torture. So I now only teach at home and do a community choir / group class for adults who say they can't sing (which of course they all can do) and I've reduced my at home one-to-one teaching to only working with adults. They are so much more appreciative, more fun to teach and they are more appreciative of small achievements rather than kids wanting to do it now! and without any work please!
    Enjoy your comfy day reading. Fil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thrilled, Eileen. I think you will love it so much, I truly do.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds a lot like my yesterday! Except that I didn't oversleep, in fact I woke up far earlier than I wanted to. Aside from a few quick jobs which I did while food was cooking etc, I stayed in my PJs all day, reading. When my fab book was finished I transferred to the sofa and stared at the TV instead. I have probably been more productive today, as a result. Good luck finding those sheets - I'd guess they are barricaded in the music room along with all the other essentials ;o) Hope you've enjoyed your snuggle day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to start your week with a big decision made. I think those children are very fortunate to have such a caring teacher. What's that old saying, which I am also pondering a lot these days, do what you love & you'll never work a day ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Sunday sounds like a perfect day! A day in which to relax and take time for yourself. It sounds like you've made your decision about the private music lessons! I'm sure you'll find yourself enjoying doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has to fit in with your lifestyle, that's all that matters. Try it and see how it goes. If it begins to feel like an obligation or a chore then stop and find something else to do. Life is too short to be doing anything you don't really want to do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts