Thursday


Baby steps forward! Through a combination of information received via an email and my own 'let's find out what's happening locally' efforts, I have an idea on how I can get myself motivated to walk regularly.

The email was from the 'NHS One You' site and was advocating trying the 'Couch to 5K' app. Well, I have currently have too many painful days because of joint problems, so the idea of running for fun didn't appeal but it did get me thinking. A couple of other bloggers have recently tried Couch to 5K and have both completed it, and more importantly have both enjoyed it and plan to keep on running. It seems to work, but running! .... So, I searched for a Couch to 5K Walking Plan and found the information on the printout in today's photo.

It follows the same approach with rest days in between the walking but there isn't any support from an app which I think was encouraging to my blogger friends.  Anyway, I'll give it a try. I've had to tweak how it'll fit in to my life as I want Saturday's to be a rest day - I know before I start that I won't be keen on any walking after three and a half hours of band practice!

To go alongside this walking schedule I'm trying to come up with having reasons to go out walking in the hope that this will encourage me. One of these reasons is to have another go at Geocaching; I did this a few years ago with great nieces and nephews and enjoyed it, but this time I'm going solo (at least to start with). I've downloaded the free app and have located plenty of local caches to try to find, and I'll just see how it goes!

Luckily today is a rest day as I'm not feeling too well so can continue to take it easy at home. I'll spend a bit of time in the garden to prune a couple of the shrubs and check whether any of the climbing plants need to be tied in, and then ... I don't know but it'll probably involve reading, letter writing and/or watching TV!

Comments

  1. What a great idea to have that chart - for me it would work as I like lists, I like goals (col). We have several pole walking workshops & groups, it's all the rage right now, I'm keen to go to their info night next week. Geocaching is just like a photo search in many ways. I'm hopeful that the SPSH will have lots of happy reasons to get you out & about :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the pole walking but it didn't work for me ... with the group I went to, you needed to be fit to start, and I wasn't!

      I find I do well on anything where I have a list and have set, or had set for me, some SMART goals and this walking plan seems to do just that. Yes, the SPSH always gets me out and about so I can't wait for it to start!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I like this walking goals chart! I am going to copy the idea from you, if I may! Because my current goal of walking for 30 mins. daily is not happening! Well, I suppose I am partly to blame because I need to make it happen, don't I? Sigh.

    I hope you feel better; good idea to rest and take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can, we can support each other and compare progress! I’ll find the link tomorrow so you can see the entire chart.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your walking plan. I know how hard it can be when you intend to follow a particular schedule but pain/no sleep means that on a certain day you just cannot do what you planned. Maybe on 'difficult' days instead of a 20 minute walk you try two 10 minute sessions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a possible solution, thank you. Difficult days will probably mean just walking around the house and garden, so I can stop and sit when I need to.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts