SPSH | First Pictures

I set the alarm for 7:00 am and was dressed, fed and in Bradford on Avon by 7:40 am. I was on a mission to find my first set of photos for the Summer Photo Scavenger Hunt. This all sounds very upbeat but I actually had to drag myself out of bed and stick to my plan (one of my goals!) of going out to take some photos. Once I was on my way I enjoyed it and had a lovely surprise meeting in the car park when I bumped into an ex colleague who I haven't seen since 2004. 

I started in Bradford and then drove back to Trowbridge to add a few more to the haul. I didn't have the sense to take the list with me (!!) and now realise that there are others I could have taken photos for but it's a good start with six photos and one of the alternatives in the bag.

1. An Outdoor Clock on the Parish church in Trowbridge. This is the church where the youth band plays twice a year as part of their service to the community.



3. Repetition of the bricks on the Handle House in Trowbridge. This is where they used to dry teasels for use in the cloth industry; the other side of the building has the same configuration of bricks, designed so that the gaps left between the bricks allows the breeze to dry out the teasels.



5. The Word Summer showing a road sign containing the word 'Summer'



9. A Bridge - the town bridge in Bradford on Avon. The small building on the left of the photos is the Chapel on the Bridge, and at one time also served as a lock up (prison cell) only big enough to hold one person.



11. Fish, this was a lucky find as I didn't know this was there - a mosaic in the garden commemorating the twinning of Bradford on Avon with Sully-sur-Loire in France




13. Two Colours of The Rainbow in Any Combination, another lucky find next to the Handle House with the colour combination of blue and green.




alt A: Bird or Bee House - showing the pigeon loft in the roof of St Margaret's Hall in Bradford on Avon




It's not too late to join the hunt - everyone is welcome. 

Comments

  1. This is a fabulous start! I like your first three particularly. In a way, it's good that you didn't have the list on you; yes, a bit frustrating to have got home and realised you'd missed a few, but there's loads of time so no point rushing through. Spread out the fun!
    And seriously? 7am? On a Sunday? On a bank holiday weekend? Well done, (you loon!) Great to encounter your fellow early bird and old mate - that wouldn't have happened, had you stayed in bed. Enjoy the rest of your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rumour is true ... there is actually a 7 am on a Sunday morning! I’m glad I pushed myself to do it because it’s now 10:20 and I’ve done my photos, blog post, and piano practice and I still have the whole day day ahead of me to just do whatever I fancy.

      Delete
  2. Eileen what a brilliant start to the SPSH. That drying house for teasels is quite something. The Universe gifted you for the early rising; great finds, fine weather & a chance encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I was surprised at how many I found, and I could have added another four finds if I’d taken the list. The Handle House is an amazing piece of history and is the only one of its kind remaining in situ in the UK.

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant start Eileen - love the mosaic and the teasel drying house is a quite a find - not come across anything like that before. Time for me to look at the SPSH list methinks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. The Handle House is in my home town so I’ve known it all my life and in the town museum they have one of the combing machines with all the teasels set in place.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos! And a great start to the summer photo scavenger hunt! I didn't know they had ventilated buildings especially built for drying teasel! Thank you for sharing that! But, honestly, 7:00 a.m.? I'm glad you got to meet a former colleague, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m up and wide awake at 7am today (Monday) too! J was on her way to the early church service so we only had time for a quick chat but it was lovely to see her again.

      Delete
  5. 7am! That's late in our house! (We do go to bed early as a result) But well done, it's a good time to be out and about ahead of the crowds, especially on a Bank Holiday. Lovely photos x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m hoping to change things round so I go to bed at a sensible time and get up and start the day much earlier. Will it happen? ..... time will tell!!

      Delete
    2. Strangely, although GM and I have been together for 31 years, which means I've been on an early timetable all that time, when he's not at home overnight I automatically stay up later and lie in in the morning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts