Sunday

I spent most of yesterday afternoon in front of the laptop. I was asked to write a character reference for Lauren who is hoping to move into rented accommodation in Bath to be nearer her new job. That didn't take long and then I lost all sense of time searching through my family tree.

I had my DNA tested a couple of years ago and from that I have been provided with a continually updating list of potential relatives. I have been struggling to find any details about my dad's ancestry on his father's side but it look like I may have been provided with the means to find the information I need. I've been given the details of a 1st/2nd cousin who, from the information on her tree, doesn't seem to belong on any of the branches I've researched so far and I'm hopeful that this will be the start of sorting out dad's line. 1st cousins will share a grandparent but that doesn't seem the case, so I need to research by expanding each generation to find the common ancestor who may be in the previous generation to the grandparents. When I have a bit more detail I will write to this new 1st/2nd cousin and see if they can provide any answers. It's all very exciting ... well, it is to me anyway!


Some more books to go, and that's another shelf cleared!

One of the Harry Potter films is on TV this afternoon so I will probably watch that, and then the rest of the day will probably be spent on family tree research.

Comments

  1. Researching family trees can be quite absorbing, I'm sure. I hope your new-found cousin might have the information you are looking for.

    I think I need you to come over and help me go through my books! Now, I want to read through each one before donating them! Eek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lose all sense of time when I get engrossed in it but it's something I really enjoy doing. It's a bit like puzzle solving and I like the challenge.

      Maybe you're not in the right place emotionally to be decluttering your books. You seem to be finding it to be much more of a challenge than I am, although if you look at the books I'm getting rid of they all belong to episodes in my life where the door has been closed for whatever reason .... teaching (music books), my late partner's books, recipes (I use the internet), novels (read once and then pass on) ... maybe that makes it easier for me. Anyway, same offer ... if you pay my expenses I'll be there to help 😂

      Delete
  2. It all sounds very exciting - have a happy and successful explore along this new track.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking even more promising today so I'm hopeful that this person may hold the key to finding the ancestry line I'm searching for.

      Delete
  3. It's amazing how absorbed you get when researching the family tree, hours can pass in what seems like minutes. I did a lot of research on my own tree a lot of years ago now but came to some dead ends and I lost interest but I've just started looking at it again. It's all fascinating stuff. I'm interested about the DNA testing, that's something which wasn't done when I last looked at my tree, how things move on as the years pass. Good luck with your research, I hope the cousin can provide you with some answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I probably wouldn't have done as much as I have done without access to all the online records. It does make it so much easier but not quite the same as using the old handwritten records.

      Delete
  4. One of my sons has been investigating his family tree, and has found out all sorts of things about my maternal grandparents that were, shall we say, a bit hazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of Ced's was classified as an 'imbecile'.

      Delete
    2. We are unfortunate enough to have an arm of Smiths, so there is a great deal of confusion with regard to my grandfather, who was known to us as A.W., Alfred William, but has also been known as William Alfred, Thomas Alfred and William Thomas! - or so it would appear, given birthdates, places, marriages, etc.

      Delete
    3. Taylor is bad enough but must be easier than Smith!

      Delete
  5. Researching your family tree can be really addicting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely agree with you. At times I get really obsessed with it!

      Delete
  6. How interesting that you had your DNA tested. Would you recommend it Eileen? I am stuck with my family tree and have considered having my DNA done but am sceptical as to how much I will gain from it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts