Saturday

Yesterday I met J for coffee and, as I left her home, she handed over a small gift ...


... I bet you weren't expecting that!

Most of our conversation was to do with the problems of avoiding purchasing things that are packaged in non-recyclable packaging. The point of this particular toilet roll is that it is manufactured from bamboo which is a sustainable and quick growing source material and that there is no plastic packaging in sight. I don't know that I can afford to change to that product as there is a limit to how many increased costs I can absorb with my current income. However I am certain that I will be able to make plenty of changes to do my bit in response to the environmental crisis we are all facing.

I already recycle all the waste that is collected via kerbside collections in this area (tins, glass, paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, foil), and I take the remainder to the skips at the recycling yard. My starting point in determining what more I can do is to check through the entire house to identify all products that I currently buy, which I will do over the next week.

I am already aware that one area to address is the non-recyclable food packaging and there are some simple changes which I can implement immediately.
  • Stop buying any prepackaged fruit and veg. Shop instead at any store that permits the use of my own reusable bags.  I have the choice of the big supermarkets, the local greengrocer and the farmer's market, all of which allow you to use your own packaging.
  • Stop buying any prepackaged meat. Some places now permit you to take your own reusable containers when buying meat and again I have the choice of the big supermarkets, local butcher, and local farm shops. 
  • I've also discovered that the plastic bags my bread is sold in and the bags you buy frozen vegetables in can all be recycled by returning them to the supermarket together with unwanted carrier bags, so I will start doing that.
  • Always take my own food on day trips. I was shocked by the amount of plastic packaging I was left with after buying a meal deal from one of the big supermarkets
It's a small start which possibly will impact slightly on my budget but the combination of these changes will significantly reduce the amount of non-recyclable plastic passing through my house. It's better to do a little than to do nothing at all.

Comments

  1. If everyone does their little, it adds up to a hugh, stonking whole. Good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by the Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall TV series on our use of plastics. Did you watch it?

      Delete
  2. We can only do what we can; you are already doing quite a bit! I keep saying I need to make some net produce bags, and keep forgetting to do so! I do reuse and recycle as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on my mind for some time that I'm not doing enough so this is a start. I cheated and bought my produce bags!

      Delete
  3. For one person it's a small start, for 1 million people doing the same together, it's a huge step for our planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I have a feeling that whatever I decide to focus on next may not be quite as simple - I read your recent comments on trying to have a plastic free month!

      Delete
  4. Ha, ha, we sure found out how true that was, didn't we? (Yes, I'm looking over the rest of the posts, too, just to refresh my memory!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, lockdown has put paid to my plastic free plans for now. It's unavoidable while I'm relying on deliveries.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts