Tuesday

After a poor night's sleep (hot and sticky rather than illness) I slept in later than planned this morning. It's been raining on and off, not too heavy but enough to be inconvenient, and there's that heaviness in the air that makes me think the forecast of thunderstorms this evening will be correct. 

I'm having another easy day but have been out to the supermarket to restock as the cupboards were starting to look bare. The worst part of living alone is looking after myself when I'm unwell. It's something I know is going to happen all too frequently so I always make sure that I have a plentiful supply of suitable food and drinks for those times, and replenishing those supplies was the focus of today's shopping trip. I bought a few goodies for my normal meals but will have to shop again for the rest once I've checked what I already have at home.

Back at home and, in between showers, have opened up all the windows and doors to freshen up the house. I've changed the sheets on my bed and the washing machine is earning it's keep with the first load of household linen. The second load (towels) may wait until tomorrow.

M (my nephew's wife) and the two girls will be here later to collect their school uniforms. All the name tags are sewn in ready for them so Miss C just had to try on her school trousers while wearing her school shoes just to check that I've shortened them correctly. We'll keep our fingers crossed for that as I don't much feel like redoing my alterations!

After they go I don't have any plans for the rest of the day. I've already done a bit of piano practice so will probably fill the rest of my time reading or listening to music. I'm cooking a roast pork dinner for tonight so will plate up a second meal for tomorrow - roast pork, roast potatoes, cauliflower, runner beans, cabbage, sprouts and gravy. With the rest of the cooked potatoes and veg I'll make some bubble and squeak and have that with the cold pork on Thursday. It's only a small loin joint (yellow sticker bargain at £1.70) so if there is any left after those three meals I'll slice and freeze it. 

I think I have time for a coffee before M and girls arrive so will leave you with my photo for today ... piano practice!


Comments

  1. Hello Eileen,
    I hoppe that you are better.
    The best thing to help us in bad moments it´s listen or play music.
    Have a nice afternoon.
    Hugs
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better now, thanks Ailime.

      Delete
  2. Can't believe how different your weather has been from ours this summer. Can't help feeling you've been a little greedy with the ole rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, it's strange isn't it. It hasn't rained that much today and now looks like it's stopped for the day ... so it may be heading your way ... if that's any consolation ... maybe ...

      Delete
    2. P.S. it's not us being greedy, it's your own fault for living the wrong side of the country 😂😂

      Delete
  3. I think last night as possibly the hottest we've had here in the Midlands. I was very uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get comfortable at all. Let's hope tonight is cooler and that we both have a better night.

      Delete
  4. If you've any rain to spare (after you send some to Lady Ella), feel free to send some my way, too, please! :D

    Good point about self care and stocking up on food and drinks for those times when we are unwell.

    I hope the trouser alterations were deemed satisfactory! I need to hem those bridesmaids dresses, myself...

    That is a very fancy piano! Well done on getting in your piano practices! Your dinner sounds very good, too, with lots of vegetables. You found a good bargain on the pork loin.

    Hope you have a lovely day, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the trousers were given a thumbs up thank goodness. I think I got the better deal because those bridesmaids dresses are going to take ages.

      It's an electric piano, chosen because my late partner often couldn't cope with any noise, so with this one I could plug in headphones and not disturb him. I also have an electronic 'silent practice mute' for my tenor horn.

      I enjoyed my roast dinner - roasts are my 2nd favourite meal, after curries! Yes, the meat was a good bargain and was enough for four meals.

      Self care is essential now I live alone, and continuing to be independent for as long as possible is my goal. Family and friends will help if needed but I think it's best if I remain organised and prepare for those days when I'm not feeling 100%.

      I'm not sure that we had enough rain to share this time but we are due some more tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts