Reasons To Be Cheerful in September 2019

I've  had a very quiet month so I haven't many events or outing to add to my list this time. Despite this there are still plenty of reasons to be cheerful during September. 

At the start of the month I chose to focus on the 'little things' for my daily joyful activity by which I mean taking the time to enjoy simple pleasures, being in the moment and not experience it through a camera lens or with half my mind on something else. Here are my daily joyful activities for September:
  1. Taking the time on an early morning walk to stop and listen to the bird song
  2. Watching the butterflies on the buddleia
  3. Standing by the river in Bradford on Avon watching the kingfisher
  4. Walking through town and enjoying the flower displays
  5. Relaxing in a bubble bath
  6. Chasing raindrops down the window with a friend's grandchild
  7. Spending the morning with friends who share the same interests (at band)
  8. Looking back through photo albums
  9. Appreciating the benefits of routine as I resume the private music lessons after the summer break
  10. Benefitting from a good laugh after watching repeats of 'Would I Lie To You'
  11. Enjoying the laughter of the children playing brass instruments for the first time
  12. Relaxing in a bubble bath
  13. A walk along the canal towpath
  14. Appreciating the acoustics when band practice was held in the church
  15. A mindfulness interlude in the garden
  16. Celebrating one child's achievement when she pitched a high (for her) note that she's been struggling to play for a long time
  17. Meeting and chatting with the children I used to teach. Then in year 1, they are now year 3 and attended the brass workshops today. Lots of fun!
  18. Running a brass workshops with a class of adorable year 3s. They were full of fun but really well behaved and it was a pleasure to be with them.
  19. Chatting with friends via Skype
  20. Enjoying 10 minutes of mindfulness
  21. An early morning walk
  22. A quiet day, reading and relaxing
  23. Another brass workshop with a mixed yr3/yr4 class who were delighted when their teacher joined in and tried to play.
  24. Appreciating the pleasure of a warming bath after getting soaked to the skin
  25. Sitting on a bench in town, people watching.
  26. Finding an old photo I thought had been lost or destroyed
  27. Chatting with A
  28. Meeting the three keen, and very lively, new starters at band
  29. Listening to the church bells
  30. Reading in bed

*****

Finding a new affordable daytime event - a afternoon film club showing recently released films. This month it was Fishermen's Friends, it only cost £4.50 for entry which included tea/coffee and cake before the film started and again during the interval. Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed the film.

*****

The holidays are over and weekly band rehearsals have started. It was lovely to see everyone after the long summer break and to get back to playing my tenor horn.


*****

Visiting local primary schools to run brass workshops on behalf of the band in the hope that we get some new learners. Although we didn't get many new players, the workshops were tremendous fun and I loved working with all the children.


*****


I enjoyed a surprise visit from friends who also treated me to an Indian takeaway meal. We had time for a long chat and to catch up on everyone's news. I like these sort of friendships where, no matter how long since we last saw each other, we just pick up where we left off. We've known each other for 45 years.



*****


A spur of the moment visit to a nearby National Trust property, enjoying an art exhibition displayed in the garden. The first time for ages that I spent time with my camera, photographing whatever caught my eye.



*****


Taking the decision to start drinking coffee again! Mornings are much more enjoyable when I start the day with a mug of coffee!


Comments

  1. I love this post, good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I copied the idea from Lady Ella. It's an effective way to remember just how much I have in my life to be happy about.

      Delete
  2. All very good reasons to be cheerful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. There's always so much more to be cheerful about when I actually take the time to think about it. x

      Delete
  3. There's a lot of things to be cheerful for there. Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves to enjoy the little things in life, they really can bring us so much pleasure and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I firmly believe that the way to real happiness and contentment in life lies with recognising and appreciating the importance of the little things. I'm trying to focus on that aspect of life much more.

      Delete
  4. Such a full list, so many things to be cheerful & grateful about. I'm a huge believer of that quote, which I cannot remember correctly, but basically says when we focus on what we have, we have abundance, when we focus on what we don't have, nothing will ever be enough. I know #26 only too well. Nice mug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your quote is a timely reminder. I've been choosing to be happy and to make time daily for something to bring a smile to my face, and it undoubtedly makes a difference to how I feel every day and to my overall perception of 'how good' my life is.

      It's my Harry Potter 'still waiting for my letter' mug šŸ˜

      Delete
  5. Love the idea of finding reasons to be cheerful. I think I may have to work on this idea.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can guarantee that you won't regret it if you do. This definitely works and changes your outlook on life.

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed reading this post! It's wonderful that there are so many things to be cheerful about, isn't it? Simple joys, but, they are the best! I hope October will be as cheerful, if not more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in many ways the simple things bring the greatest pleasure.

      I hope you have a cheerful October too x

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your list, and it inspires me to take that practice on some month. This month I'm taking a journaling class, and planning to do the 30 Days of Gratitude project next month. I'm thinking December would be the perfect month for this when it's easy to let things get out of control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I'm hoping to do the 30 Days of Gratitude as well. December will be a good month to look for reasons to be cheerful ... the idea for this monthly post was the brainchild of Lady Ella.

      Delete
  8. What a really lovely list! It's important to think about the little things that bring joy. Sometimes little things are all it takes when you're having a really bad day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I'm trying to live at a slower pace and to take the time to be aware of all the simple pleasures in life.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts