Saturday

I didn't mean to stay away from my blog for so long but life got in the way as it has a tendency to do!' I've spent the last two weeks sorting myself out, something that was long overdue. I've been dithering over reaching a couple of important decisions for too long but I have finally decided on the changes I want to make. 

The one that will have the biggest impact on my life is that I have left the youth band. I can't really go into the reasons for that here as part of the reason is not really my story to tell, but will say that it was entirely my own decision and has shocked everyone. I have agreed to continue teaching the beginners until they make arrangements to replace me and will also complete some of the outstanding admin as well. I'm still unsure myself whether this is a temporary break or a permanent but it will be for at least a year to allow time for the others to take over all the jobs I was responsible for. 

I've also decided to stop running the monthly book group. For some time it's been taking up a lot of time getting it organised, way more than it should have done, and I haven't been enjoying it as much as I used to. I'll ask one of the others to take over running the group but if no-one wants to, then it will have to finish. 

It's always the way but, after months of dithering, as soon as I reached these decisions I felt the relief immediately. I will miss the band but have plenty of other opportunities to continue playing if that's what I decide I want to do. For now, I have plenty of time to work out what I want to do ... there's no rush.

To finish on a happier note ... my doctor confirmed that I do not have heart failure. I may have shed a few happy tears!

Comments

  1. It's always a relief when you finally get the time and space you need to make important decisions - and that sense of a weight lifting is a sure sign that the right decisions have been made. Here's to a happy rest of the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tanya. I will still see four of the children for private lessons so the contact will continue. It's the children I will miss rather than all the work - it was getting to be a full time job.

      Delete
  2. One of the most important things about retirement is knowing what and what not to be doing. SOmetimes it is very much a step into the dark and it's not until you make that step that the reaction shows you that it was the right direction in which to go.
    They will miss you very much - they will miss all that you did as well - but well done to your courage.
    I hope someone else will take over the book club but, if not, maybe it had come to its natural end anyway. There will always be books to read anyway!

    And the last is the best - thank goodness.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have the results of the heart scan I can think about weight loss and regular exercise again. I will have plenty of free time to fill once I hand over all the band stuff so I have no excuse!

      The book group has become a chore and I admit that I am looking forward to reading whatever I fancy. I'm off to the library next week to choose the 12 books allowed on my ticket ... a perfect activity now the darker nights will soon be with us.

      Delete
  3. Some big changes for you, Eileen. It can often be difficult to step away from the familiar, even if we realise it is no longer enjoyable for us.
    You have every reason to cry some happy tears. That must be such a relief. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been brewing for some time and the thing that triggered my decision was actually quite minor. Now that the initial upset has settled, I am content that the decision was the right one for me and I can now focus my energies on moving forward.

      Delete
  4. Good decisions and delighted that your heart isn't failing. I'll email you soon about meeting up. x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'll be lovely. I'll look out for the email. xx

      Delete
  5. First of all so happy to hear the doctor's news, what a relief, I am sure.

    And congratulations on making those critical decisions. Sometimes it is the delaying of decisions that just compounds the stress. No doubt other more enjoyable opportunities will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was definitely a relief to get the good news from the doctor.

      I have no plans to rush into anything but I'm open to all opportunities. It'll be exciting to see what I can make of all the extra time I have.

      Delete
  6. Eileen, I am most thankful that your heart is strong. Life decision(s), whether for the best, are still difficult. Your heart & head will continue to work together about making any further changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would have been better to have made a clean break but circumstances are such that it isn't possible, all of which impacts on future plans. I just need to stay strong and it'll all work out for the best I'm sure.

      Delete
  7. Hello Eileen,
    Good news about your heart!
    About the other things you will go doing what it's better for you.
    I wish you nice sunday and week.
    Hugs
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. It's fantastic news about my heart and I am so thankful that it turned out to be nothing serious. It's quite exciting to be in a position to do whatever I want.

      Delete
  8. I am so glad to hear what the doctor had to say! A big relief to you, I'm sure!

    I'm sure you made the right decision to leave the band. It might have been a minor thing that made you decide, but, perhaps, it was the proverbial "last straw". You were spending a lot of time doing the admin work and no one else seemed to be willing to step in while you were still available.

    Ditto for leaving the book group. Sometimes, one needs to make some changes and this seems to be your time to make them. My mother used to say that change was good. It opens up room for new things to come into our lives.

    Glad to see you are back, blogging. I need to catch up on your newer posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It still feels like the right decision but time will tell. I'm concentrating on completing all outstanding tasks so I can hand everything back to the committee for them to reassign responsibilities.

      I'm enjoying myself, looking at all the possibilities open to me now. No decisions yet, but lots of ideas!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts