Reasons To Be Cheerful in December 2019


The final month of the year was marred by illness but I am learning that there are always reasons to be cheerful if you choose to look for them.

First, my daily joyful activities ...
  1. A surprise visit from L & P
  2. Watching a screening of Les Miserables all star staged concert 
  3. Texts from a friend
  4. Meeting S for coffee
  5. Calling round to see J and chatting for a hour
  6. Dusting off my clarinet and playing some Christmas carols
  7. Waving goodbye to the tubas and trombones that were stored in my garage. Watching Les Miserables at the cinema again!!
  8. Enjoying a jim-jam day!
  9. Having fun at the final choir practice of the term
  10. Chatting with G as she cut my hair
  11. Attending 'John Rutter's Christmas Celebration' at the Royal Albert Hall
  12. A phone call with friends before they leave on their three month tour of Australia
  13. Bumping into an ex-colleague in the supermarket and taking time out from shopping for a coffee and catch up
  14. Taking part in the choir's Christmas concert
  15. Enjoying another jim-jam day!
  16. Hot chocolate!
  17. My car passed the MOT!
  18. Watching a repeat of 'Would I Lie To You'
  19. A bowl of homemade soup
  20. A Christmas card with a letter and new address from someone I'd lost touch with
  21. Deciding on my One Little Word for 2020
  22. Feeling much better! Hooray for antibiotics.
  23. I'm ready for Christmas
  24. Jolabokaflod on Christmas Eve
  25. Phone calls and text from family and friends
  26. Listening to Chopin
  27. A short walk along the canal
  28. Booking tickets for the theatre 
  29. A  visit from my nephew and his family
  30. Clothes shopping, unsuccessful but I enjoyed myself
  31. Watching the John Wilson Orchestra on TV, playing the music from the Warner Brothers' films

Watching the Les Miserables All Star Staged Concert via a live screening at the ODEON. I loved it so much I bought a ticket to see it again five days later!

*****

A trip to London to the Royal Albert Hall for John Rutter's Christmas Celebration concert. This could easily become an addition to my Christmas traditions.

*****

Taking part in the community choir's Christmas concert. I'd originally intended to sit in the audience rather than sing with the others as I hadn't joined at the start of term so didn't know all the songs, but I was persuaded to take part and I'm so glad I did. Sight-reading is a good skill to have!

*****

I couldn't make it to any of Johnny Coppin's 'All On A Winter's Night' shows this year so, as I have the CD, I had my own little folk concert at home. All cosy and warm with candlelight, hot chocolate and mince pies. Not quite like the live show but a very good alternative!

*****

The tubas and trombones I was storing for the band have gone from my garage. I now have plenty of space to sort out my own things .... once the warmer days are back!

Comments

  1. Oh, these are lovely. Good for you!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your list of daily joys and reasons to be cheerful. I've got away from listing my daily joys; I think I will start doing so again, this month. As you're discovering, there is always reasons to be cheerful, even when we are not feeling well and the day seems bleak. Here's to a joyful January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making the effort to include a joyful activity every day definitely has a cumulative impact on my emotional well-being. Your daughter deserves a pat on the back for suggesting it to you, and you too for passing the idea on.

      Delete
  3. Loving this! Les Misérables has to be one of my favourite shows. I have been lucky enough to see it live in London and the travelling Broadway production.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it live quite a few times and will try to get a ticket for the latest revamped show. The cinema version was a live recording of the all star stage concert featuring Michael Ball, Alfie Boe, and Matt Lucas, and was absolutely brilliant. I never tire of the music, live it!

      Delete
  4. All great recaps of your 2019 year & December month.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts