Saturday

Yesterday afternoon was the time set aside for my January treat ... a belated joint birthday celebration with friend L. Her birthday is three days after mine in November and usually we try to arrange something in the days between but that didn't work out, so a belated celebration was agreed on.


We decided on afternoon tea, just the two of us because other friends were working, in these tea rooms in Bradford on Avon where the waitresses wear Victorian style long black dresses, white aprons and mop caps. 

They serve a variety of options for afternoon tea but we both chose their Queen Victoria Afternoon Tea menu which, per person, was five different finger sandwiches, a scone with jam and clotted cream, a slice of Victoria sandwich and a slice of lemon drizzle, with either a pot of tea or a filter coffee with refills.


It was delicious, but definitely too much, so they packed the rest for us to bring home. We came back to mine and spent the rest of the afternoon chatting ... and after giving our tummies a bit of a rest, were able to eat the cakes we'd brought home! It was a birthday celebration worth waiting for.


I also took a photo for the scavenger hunt  - No.12 | time for tea

***********

The majority of the band stuff was collected last night. I finished all the important stuff and now have some odds and ends to tidy up, hopefully before I start the teaching on Monday. The three parents of the children I see on Mondays are all committee members so I can hand the remainder back to one of them. Then it'll be done and dusted.

I received the information about the library home service volunteering but don't think I will apply at present. It's a new service, not yet up and running, and the idea of how it will run is very vague so I will wait and see how it develops. The application form for this volunteering was longer and more detailed than the forms I completed to apply for teaching posts or to work in the civil service, wanting to know my entire life history including all employment history with specifics of salary received. The thought of completing that form put me off as much as anything and I thought they were asking for too much information for what is just an unpaid volunteer position. 

I don't really have much planned for the rest of this weekend but may go to the cinema to see Jumanji: The Next Level. I feel like a break from the band admin.

Comments

  1. If you took my photo right now, it would work for colours in the WPSH - I'm green with envy over that afternoon tea; the building itself is SO charming, that ivy china pattern is really nice & the fact that they match your tea cups to the pot, & let's not forget that menu! 50 Shades of Green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all bone china and it's all the same design, even the plates on the cake stand. It's always good service and the food is good, homemade cakes and scones. L likes that they use tea leaves instead of tea bags so there is the ritual of using the strainer when pouring. It's always a lovely experience ... yes, I have been quite a few times over the years!

      The building dates back to the 16th century. It's beautiful isn't it?

      Are you feeling even more envious now? 😁😁

      Delete
  2. WHat a wonderful looking place, a delicious tea and I love the china.

    I'm really glad you can see the end of all the band stuff - and I would feel exactly the same about the volunteering. I wonder how many very able people are turned off by it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful place and is always busy, which is a good sign.

      I think a lot of people may be turned off by the application process. In addition you'd have to obtain an enhanced DBS checked and grant permission for your driving record to be scrutinized, both of which I can understand but feel that obtaining those should be more than adequate for the nature of the task and the level of responsibility.

      Delete
  3. What a delightful tea room! That would be a birthday treat :)

    One thing they'll change is the application form, I guarantee it lol Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely treat, and well worth waiting for.

      Yes, I think the application process will change and probably very quickly.

      Delete
  4. I applied to be a volunteer for Age Concern a couple of years ago to befriend an older person.OMG the form,the proof you do not have a criminal record and references .Too much .I just gave up.Their loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I attempted that as well but, like you, abandoned the idea because of the over complicated application process and, worryingly, the inefficiency of the admin staff. It's a shame because the befriending option would have been ideal at the time but as you say, it's their loss.

      Delete
  5. I would love to visit that tea room one day. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it'd be lovely if you could. I'm sure you'd enjoy it ... but rather a long way for you to travel.

      Just along the road there is a 17th century coffee house where the waiters also wear period dress. That's where we're going for next month's meal.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that sounds like a lovely belated birthday celebration! The afternoon tea menu sounds delicious, too! That's a great picture for the WPSH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I can wholeheartedly recommend it ... it was a lovely meal.

      Delete
  7. That looks like a beautiful place to visit. What fun! Sorry the volunteering didn't work out. As it sounds vague I think I'd wait too! Have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I mentioned the volunteering in conversation and my friend said that she had also seen it and decided to wait until they get themselves organised!

      Delete
  8. Your tea looks lovely, and this post reminds me I haven't done a thing on taking pictures for the hunt. I think you are wise to wait and see how the library position develops. And I have gotten more circumspect about giving out private info that I used to be. If you decide you want to pursue, just give them the info you feel comfortable with. I doesn't need to include every detail, and since it is unpaid, your prior earnings are irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a non-starter. They have lots of ideas which rarely come to fruition and this may well be another one, although I hope not as it's a good service on paper. I've made up my mind to enjoy the extra time I now have since leaving the band and review the situation in 2021.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts