After the Storm

Yesterday (Monday) was a strange sort of day. The weather couldn't make up it's mind at all, starting off sunny and dry but still windy, which at times throughout the later part of the afternoon was worse than the recent storm. House alarms and car alarms were ringing out for most of the afternoon. Then the heavy rain started up again and was still pouring down when I went to sleep.  I don't know what it's doing out there today as I am typing this in bed and haven't look out of the window yet.

The local police, via their Facebook page, issued warnings about the flooding and road closures in the area. Staverton is flooded on the far side of the village but that's to be expected as it floods in heavy rain let alone the downpour we had over the weekend. It doesn't affect where I live as my part of the village is built on much higher ground thankfully. Trowbridge's flood defences stood up to the challenge but Bradford on Avon wasn't so lucky and the centre is currently under water.

I spent most of the day indoors, tidied the kitchen and put three loads of washing through the machine. I resorted to using the tumble dryer for all of it as I couldn't face waiting for it to dry on the radiators. I also started sorting through the box of odds and ends I removed from the cupboards in the playroom, most of which will go in the next charity shop donation but some of it can just go in the bin. 

I left home early so that I could return a top in Tesco before going on to choir, and while there I stocked up on vegetables as soup supplies are running low. I cooked one batch overnight with the slow cooker on low and will start a second batch later on. I also bought a load of eggs, mushrooms, spinach and tomatoes to make some egg muffins to freeze for quick and easy breakfasts.

Choir was, as usual, good fun. The physical warm up was impossible - rotate your hips in a circle and then rotate your arms in a circle but in the opposite direction ... at the same time! I managed the tongue twister this time and the warm up arpeggio was weather related! Then we went back over Budapest, carried on learning Better Place and started working on Stand By Me. I had thought about staying home but I'm glad I made the effort to go. Ninety minutes of singing cheered me up and it did me good to chat with others after a weekend being stuck in the house.

It's the mah-jong group this morning and today I'll get to meet the rest of the group. I'll take my camera with me and if the rain holds off after the mah-jong, will take some street photography photos for the U3A challenge. This afternoon is set aside for cleaning the downstairs windows at the front of the house, so that's the kitchen, living and music rooms. The French doors will wait until later in the week. 

Once that's done I'll settle down to puzzle books and reading with a bit of music practice thrown in the mix, followed by an early night. I'm expecting a very important visitor tomorrow.

Comments

  1. There's nothing like a good old singing session to lift the spirites, I think. Have a wonderful time at you Mah-jong group.
    Do you have to print out your photos?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. er - that should say spirits!!!
      xx

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to see that they are starting to reintroduce singing in school as it changes the atmosphere in the school. All through my own education we started the day with a singing assembly and I'm convinced the singing together improved the mood of everyone. Singing as you say, is good for the soul and I am very aware of how much I benefit from it.

      Mah-jong was brilliant and I can't see any reason why I would stop going. The photos are submitted via email and then shown to the group using a projector and screen. It makes it so much easier and obviously cheaper.

      Delete
  2. I bet those singing warm up exercises have everyone laughing out loud which is also probably a good pre singing exercise. Hope Storm Dennis has blown himself out & things can drain, dry & be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The warm ups are always a laugh and, as well as serving the obvious purpose of readying everyone to sing, also set the mood for the evening.

      Storm Dennis has finished and the aftermath is being dealt with. We have some flooding but no trees down this time and no damage to building so this area got off lightly this time.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad the storm didn't do any damage in your area; hope the flooding is not too bad. I saw some of the flooding on BBC News, last night.

    Glad you were able to get some grocery shopping done on Monday and you enjoyed your evening of singing. Glad, too, that this morning's mah jong game was something you enjoyed. Sounds like you will continue attending it, so, that's another new activity for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding has been worse in previous years but it's bad enough to close roads in places.

      I was talking over all the new activities with a friend. I've been lucky that from the last four things I tried, only the walking for health was unsuccessful. The choir, mah jong and photography have all fitted the bill for me. Just one knitting/crochet idea to try but I'll leave it a few months so I don't overload myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts