Another Quiet Day!

Disappointingly it was raining when I finally found a parking space in Bath yesterday so I didn't get to take any photos. I couldn't get in the car park closest to the theatre so had to go to the next one, which involved a diversion as roads are closed for the works on the Bath Clean Air project. The benefit of this was the the walk from car to theatre took long enough to count as my daily walk and the bonus was that I had to do it again on the way back!

'Once' was absolutely brilliant. I loved it so much I will go to see it again later in the year, either in Oxford or Cardiff.


'Once' is a musical with a difference as all the actors play their own instruments on stage. There isn't a separate orchestra, the actors provide all the music accompaniments on violins, cello, guitars, drums, banjo, mandolin and piano. This photo (below, from the theatre's website) gives an idea of the 'feel' of the show ...



The actual start was different too as about 20 minutes before the show was due to start various actors drifted on to the stage and started singing and playing while the house lights were still on and the audience still finding their seats. More actors joined the others on stage and when all the supporting actors had arrived on stage we were treated to Irish ceilidh music and singing for about ten minutes. As the lead actor arrived on stage the house lights were dimmed and the show started. Did I mention that I loved it? ... worth every penny I paid for the ticket and the extortionate cost of parking in Bath.

I woke very early today so have used my time well and booked tickets for some talks at the Wiltshire Records Office. They're all very cheap (£4 per talk) and will be an interesting addition to my solo activities. The first one is next week and is about deciphering 16th century handwriting ... not every one's cup of tea but it's the sort of thing I find interesting. The others are on the stories behind Wiltshire place names (May), using prison records for family history (April), and tracing the history of houses (June).

As for the rest of the day, I don't know! I don't have anything arranged but will probably stay at home as it's been raining, so maybe another quiet day just doing whatever I fancy. 

Comments

  1. How absolutely fantastic! And the talk sounds fascinating - I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big fan of musicals but this was just that bit different. I'm still smiling from it today! I was pleased to find the events list at the WRO as I think these talks will add something different to my list and it's always good to ring the changes.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed the show. It sounds different and interesting. Those talks sound quite interesting, too.

    Too bad it's raining, but, I hope you have a relaxing day. Stay warm and dry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the show ever gets recorded I'll be the first to buy the DVD! There were quite a few other talks I would have been interested in but they were sold out, but it all looks promising for an ongoing monthly activity for the future.

      Delete
  3. I love musicals, but I don't know how I would feel about this unconventional way of performing.

    Jean Cole, (I think was her name) from Wiltshire Record Office had articles in the Family Tree magazine years ago. I wrote to WRO a couple of times during my research as my Mum's ancesters came from there and Somerset. Enjoy the talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean Cole's name features on lots of the WRO publications. I'm looking forward to the talks ... something a bit different but all subjects I am really interested in.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that the "different" show was something that made you smile. I think those upcoming talks do sound interesting, I'm sure there will be lots of nuggets of information & interesting facts. Happy (dry) weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The version I saw is based on a film of the same name so I've just ordered the DVD to see what that is like.

      That's what I'm hoping for ... nuggets of information and interesting facts. I think they'll be good and are obviously popular if are some of them are fully booked.

      Happy weekend to both of you. xx

      Delete
  5. Once sounds amazing. Something my friend would enjoy, I'll have to tell her about it. I'm still dipping into my family history in fits and spurts so I'll have to see if my records office offers some similar talks. They look very interesting, I hope you enjoy them Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your friend won't be disappointed if she does manage to see it. It's still on tour so she may be lucky.

      I think the talks will be good. I enjoy picking up the interesting pieces of information you can learn at these sort of things.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts