Finance, the Rucksack Project, and Teaching

This weekend turned into a film fest with six films added to the list of films watched in 2020. They are listed on the 'Films' tab if you want to see the titles. They were all very watchable and I enjoyed them but one viewing is enough for me so none of them made it to my favourites_will_watch_again list. That list is in my head so probably best not to waste time looking for it! I also watched the final of Dancing on Ice (disappointed by the result, I wanted Perri and Vanessa to win) and the second episode of McDonald and Dodds.

Lauren was looking for a baby photo of herself for a fun 'who's who' competition going on in her department at work and sent me one I hadn't seen before of Ced on his 60th birthday. This was at least five or six years before there were any signs of the Motor Neurone Disease and he looked so happy. It was wonderful to see him like that, with a huge soppy grin on his face and clearly enjoying himself. Happy memories.

I didn't get the photo I was hoping to take for the scavenger hunt. I took the photo but it didn't really match the idea in my head so I need to rethink and try again. The street photography for the U3A takes priority now as I need them by Wednesday night. I have some but would like at least another three with people in view as a contrast to the ones I have which are of empty streets. I'm going into town later this morning and will take some in the town centre and hope for the best.

I'm seeing C this morning about the band finance but will only stay for an hour. At some stage she needs to take ownership of it so I am taking a step back from now and will limit my availability.

I need to do a bit of shopping before teaching starts this afternoon, to take to choir this evening. It's the choir's birthday and we've been asked to bring a donation for the Rucksack Project which provides essentials for children aged 5 to 18 years old who are either homeless, in care, or from low income families. I've decided to adapt my Lent donations so will take 30 items to the food bank and 10 items to the Rucksack Project. I've already bought some feminine hygiene products for my donation but now need to shop for the rest.

Teaching is due to start at 3:30 pm today. I am debating whether to carry on and may give notice that they need to find new teachers ready for September. I love teaching and enjoy the time with all of the children but ... I feel it would be in my best interest to break the connection with the band, and all of the children I teach are band members. I'm in that difficult position where they are mentioning issues at band - I was always the person they came to, but am now unable to put things right for them. I don't want to be in a position where I feel I am interfering so a clean break may be the best option. I could take on other pupils who are not connected with the band but, if I do decide to stop teaching the current pupils, I think I will stop completely. All I know is that I need to make a decision by Easter at the latest.

Comments

  1. Its a shame about the teaching but I do understand. In my first two years retired, I felt uncomfortable if my students spoke about things going a bit wrong for exactly the same reason. At school, I'd be expected to do something about it and now I couldn't. That feeling has now gone; I can listen, sympathise and advise without feeling any pressure to 'sort it out'. Maybe you need to step back for a short time and then come back into it after a few years.

    Good luck for the photo. Often, the casual snaps can turn out better than the carefully managed ones, I think.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. From the conversation with C this morning, I am convinced that my involvement as 'support' will be ongoing on the financial side and on the music side of things I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Time for a break, I think.

      Delete
  2. I took a peek at your list of films watched. I'm impressed! I have watched a grand total of two movies, so far, this year! Both of them at the library. I think that was two movies more than I watched last year! LOL!

    Sounds like you have a busy day planned. The decision whether to continue teaching or not might be a hard one, but, I know that, eventually, you will make the decision that feels right to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I have Netflix I often watch a film rather than the TV, and I'm trying to catch up on all the films I missed when Ced was ill.

      I will check my finances again but I think the teaching will come to an end when school finishes in July.

      Delete
  3. I've had a weekend up catchup on your posts. Lots of wonderful cheerful & grateful things. I've done something similar to your Rucksack Project but it was geared to women fleeing domestic violence situations. It certainly makes you stop & think of how fortunate you are not to need. When I left the less than good situation at one of the clinic I had worked at for a number of years, the boss asked me to keep a key, just in case. I thought OK, but in the end it kept me tethered to the worry I had about what was getting done, what wasn't, so after several months, I dropped the key off. I got two photos for the WPSH this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings exactly. When I bought the items for donations this morning it crossed my mind how lucky I've been to always have the essentials and more.

      I feel tied to the band but not not in a good way, and I need to make the break permanent before the issue of visiting the schools to get new players is raised again.

      Well done on getting two more photos.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts