Housework, Followed by an Afternoon Looking at Photographs

Here's the two photos which didn't display in yesterday's post. I think there may be an issue with Blogger as yesterday I could see all the photos but today have the same problem as everyone else and can't view these two images.

Old mill buildings in Bradford on Avon

A cruck frame house in Lacock

I spent the morning catching up with some housework. I'm sort of on top of the regular cleaning but there is still the remainder of the decluttering to sort out so that was my focus this morning. I didn't get much done but have placed a few more adverts so am keeping my fingers crossed that these items will sell. I'm moving the adverts to eBay so successful sales can be dealt with using online banking and the postal system, rather than the cash on collection I normally use. 

This afternoon was the U3A Photography Group meeting. The first half was taken up by two members showing a selection of photos of their month long trip to Australia (not Africa as I said in a previous post ... I knew it started with A!!). I'm not sure what I thought of that part of the session ... holiday snaps are very personal to the individual and the majority of the images could have been of anywhere, there was very little that screamed Australia. 600 plus photos later and I was ready for a break! I know I sound grumpy but too many were blurred or wonky or both, and when they said that they'd taken over 4000 photos the person next to me whispered that we'd had a lucky escape!

That part of the session took much longer than it should have done so we had a quick break for coffee and biscuits and then whizzed through everyone's street photography images. With one exception, people had opted for street scenes or architectural features rather than true street photography of strangers. The exception was a man who showed the photos he'd taken on a street photography course. They all liked my steps photo best and the one of the bakery led to chat about how good their pasties are!

All in all, it was an odd sort of session and I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time. The majority were showing photos from their archives and hadn't taken any photos specifically for this challenge, which bothers me. It's something I've seen a lot in online groups and I always end up losing interest. I'm hoping it was the unpopular theme which led to the preponderance of archive shots, rather than something that always happens. 

The next theme is 'Spring' but the date for meeting still has to be agreed, partly to do with tree felling around the hall we use and partly to do with the coronavirus concerns. 

I've just listened to the UK coronavirus update. It's scary isn't it? Both of my brothers and my sister fall in the vulnerable category of age combined with existing serious health problems but at least I know they are all sensible enough to follow the advice and take appropriate precautions. It really hits home when the Prime Minister says that it's the worst health crisis for a generation and that many more families will lose loved ones before their time.

Comments

  1. I like both your photos, but, that is the first time I've heard of or seen a cruck frame house! How interesting! Too bad the photo session wasn't quite enjoyable as you had hoped. The holiday photos would have been more interesting had they been more focused on showing the country and landmarks, I would imagine (not to mention fewer in number!) and the street photography more recent ones taken for the purpose. Oh, well, you kept to the spirit of the challenge and, hopefully, the next session will be more enjoyable.

    "many more families will lose loved ones before their time." Yes; that is the sad and scary truth! People say we all have to die, some day, and that is true, we do. None of us lives forever. However, I am sure that the majority of us would like to live longer than to die sooner. If we all take the necessary precautions, a lot of which are common sense precautions, too, I think the chances of getting on top of this virus will improve. I hope you and your family and loved ones will be safe and remain healthy during this time of worry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep going to the photography group for the time being. It just gets a bit boring when people show their archive shots (usually of trips abroad) rather than trying to take new ones.

      Thank you Bless, and I wish the same for you, your daughter and all your extended family and friends.

      Delete
  2. 4000 photos! And 600 photos! Snooooooooore......

    I have been keeping zen about coronavirus and resisting lapping up 24-hour news, stockpiling freezer food etc., but now it's really starting to get to me, and we're still only in the early stages. I've no time for the panic-mongers but I'm also frustrated about the level of complacency on the other side of the coin. I'd never forgive myself if I gave it to my parents, both of whom fall into the "age and underlying issues" bracket. Watching the news tonight it became apparent that the penny hadn't dropped with either of them that there is no medication for it. Mum asked in that case what was being done for those who'd been hospitalised! Err ... ventilators and treatment for the fever? Aaagh. She'd already postponed a couple of routine hospital appointments but is still pottering around supermarkets almost every day, and seemingly being very casual generally. Educated, informed people just not "getting" it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting that you say people are not 'getting it'. That's my thought too. I particularly noticed it at the two U3A groups where the comments and attitude of a few gave cause for concern ... a complete failure to understand the seriousness of the situation and to feel that the advice doesn't really apply to them.

      Delete
  3. I think that generally the British 'just carry on' through thick and thin so many are finding it hard to change the mindset of a lifetime and actually take active actions to avoid this as much as possible.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right Joy. It's time to be sensible and follow the advice we're being given, and for people to understand that the advice applies to everyone.

      Delete
  4. I'm hopeful I've got my photos in Blogger fixed - but what a circus to do. Technology is my friend, I repeat at least 100 times. I wonder if the photography group is reluctant about being near other people, especially since we are now told to social distance of at least 3 feet & not be in groups of more than 50 people at a time. This COVID-19 is certainly affecting all aspects of day to day life. I was rather taken a back yesterday when I saw that so many this side of the pond are still going on foreign vacations for their March Break! So thoughtless about what happens if you go somewhere & get quarantined? What if you bring home to those at risk ... so thoughtless, so arrogant in their thinking of it's all about what "I" want. Sorry, my rant is over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The U3A groups are concerned about meeting because the majority of members are in the vulnerable age bracket as well as many of them having pre-existing health conditions. They were waiting to see what advice came out of the government's emergency meeting yesterday so I don't know whether groups will be suspended for the time being or not.

      I can see your photos now.

      Delete
  5. That cruck frame house is fascinating. I'm assuming the theme was unpopular and given permission to choose another subject most did. Maybe they should limit photos shown to ones that meet the theme and then there'd be more focus. I assumed by "street photography" you meant "street scene" so I wonder if other people just didn't understand the assignment. Anyway, maybe this was just an off week. It does sound like a fun group.

    We only have 2 coronavirus sufferers in our county and 18 in the state, but that's double what it was just a few days ago. We do need to be careful not to do anything that'll endanger the more vulnerable folks. And what's with the panic over toilet paper?! LOL I hope you and yours stay well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the conversation, I think people knew what was meant by 'street photography' as there was plenty of chat about not including strangers in the photos. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the Spring topic for next time.

      It's the speed it's spreading that's so worrying. I don't understand the panic buying of toilet paper at all!! Thank you, and I wish the same for you and your loved ones x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts