Last Minute Preparation and Checking in With Loved Ones

Yesterday I did a run to the skip to dispose of sacks of garden waste and bags full of unwanted video equipment. I decided this would be a low risk task but the benefits to me during self-isolation would be considerable. I don't pay for the garden waste to be collected so this was my only way of disposing of waste which had the potential to become very smelly, and the video equipment was taking up a corner of the living room and I want the house to stay as tidy as possible while I am confined to barracks! In the end it was even lower risk than I had anticipated. There was only one other car unloading so I parked at the other end and the skip employees called out for me to unload my bags and leave them there for them to deal with, so no close contact at all.

Today I will start to move the unfinished decluttering pile to the spare bedroom or the music room and reclaim the dining room. I am expecting a Tesco delivery at 5 pm and then I can close the door and begin self-isolating for real! Once the delivery is put away I'll spend some time to sanitise all of the door handles, and for the rest of the week will make sure the house is clean and tidy, resuming my normal cleaning routine next week. My car is full of petrol and the tyre pressure and oil etc. has been checked so if there is an emergency and I do have to go out it's all ready. I also sanitised the car door handles and steering wheel, and I suppose I will need to remember to start the car regularly as well. 

I caught up with family and friends last night via text messaging. My sister is in the middle of a house move (!) and will be living in rented accommodation for a few months while her husband renovates the new property. It's nearing completion so they are hoping it still goes ahead, even if it means they have to stay in rented accommodation until the crisis is over. She is keeping well but this is obviously additional stress on top of everything. Her youngest son, nephew M, is also in the process of a house sale and move (!) but I think is farther along in the process. They will be able to move in to their new house straight away which is just as well and they are expecting their first child in August - my sister told me although M said that they were delaying the announcement for a while longer so I think my sister jumped the gun a little. Life goes on doesn't it! Interestingly, both households are moving to my side of town but far enough away to still need to drive. M has offered to sort out any deliveries I may need ... he is confident he can find a hazmat suit from somewhere so will be able to deliver safely!

Julie is on her way home from India, a day early because her scheduled flight was cancelled so it sounds like she may be on one of the last international flights out of India. My friend L is due to travel back from Egypt tomorrow (I think) so am keeping my fingers crossed that she makes it home safely too. It'll be a relief when I hear that they are both home, safe and sound.

I tried to watch the Wind in the Willows musical last night but couldn't get it to work so will try again today. Here's the link to the free streaming if anyone is interested. I don't know if this is for the UK only but may be worth a try. I'll also watch the new series of Repair Shop on iPlayer - thanks to Lady Ella for reminding me about this.

Comments

  1. Hi Eilelen,
    We are all going through difficult days of isolation, but if God wants everything will be fine.
    Our lives and those of families have to go forward |!
    In Portugal we are already in a state of emergency and we cannot leave. Only to buy medicine or food. It is difficult.
    A hug and that goes well.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucking in that everything I need, medication and food, can be ordered online and delivered to my door so I don't have to go out at all.

      I hope that you and your family stay safe at this dreadful time. Sending {{{hugs}}}.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Eileen. For you I wish the same.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you've really thought of absolutely everything! Well done you! My routine has totally gone out of the window and I have the concentration span of a butterfly. I keep doing bits and pieces but nothing properly. My sister and I have been batting YouTube links back and forth this afternoon to cheer ourselves up in between stressing about our parents.
    PS. Good luck with the crocheting - I learned on YouTube too, and found it pretty convenient. Chanced upon a crochet doll's blanket a couple of days ago, made by either my Gran or an aunt (I think the former). I've washed it and am enjoying having it around again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try the crochet but will probably end up tearing my hair out if my last attempt is anything to go by. As my only concern is how to get my hair cut if I'm confined to home (first world problem, I know), I may well end up solving my own problem 😂😂

      I have to go out again tomorrow - the toilet seat broke this afternoon so I need to get a new one. I also forgot about the boiler service next Wednesday but that's everything then .... I think.

      Do you live close to your sister and your parents?

      Delete
  3. You sound very well organised and prepared.We have a Tesco delivery onSunday but can't get one for two weeks later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that most of the items on my order will be in stock. I'll review again once I see what I have and book another delivery for the beginning of April. I have the choice of four supermarkets for home delivery so should be able to get something sorted.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you are all set for self-isolation, other than getting a new toilet seat. I got a text from the pharmacy that a refill was ready for pick up or I can sign up for free delivery. Except, I couldn't figure out what I needed to do for free delivery, but, my daughter said she'll set it up for me. I feel very inadequate when it comes to online anything (other than blogging!). :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm as ready as can be. If I have forgotten something I'm sure I can get round the problem with an online order.

      Hahaha, your daughter will save the day! At least you're brilliant at blogging x

      Delete
  5. It sounds like to have things back on track. On my walk today I saw a large patch of snowdrops in bloom & the home owner was out taking photos - he says this has never happened before. We both agreed it is a sign that life goes on to bloom again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The signs of hope are there if we choose to look for them. There are many stories about the greed and selfishness of some people but so many more uplifting stories of people sharing what little they have, of communities pulling together and supporting their vulnerable members, of online groups providing free entertainment for toddlers. This list goes on and I believe we will start to see a massive growth in kindness and caring. As you say, signs that life goes on to bloom again.

      Delete
  6. Well done, Eileen. You're so totally prepared, I am filled with admiration. There's always going to be a few things that have to be done but they don't involve getting too close to people and that's what it's about.
    Fingers crossed for the crochet. I'm waiting eagerly for my sock yarn but I doubt it will come before Monday. Deramores (the yarn company) are busier than usual as people decided a spot of knitting is just what's needed to help pass the time. :-)
    xx
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea how I will manage with the crochet but you will all suffer alongside me because I will definitely be writing about my efforts 😂

      Delete
  7. Eileen, I saw your comment about wanting to learn to knit socks on Joy's lovely blog. You don't have to wait for any classes, You Tube is full of tutorials on how to. When I started to knit again after 30 years or so You Tube became my best friend to go to for learning new stuff and techniques. Best wishes and hope you and yours stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annabeth. If I crack the crocheted blanket then I may look at doing some socks. I can't really knit or crochet with any degree of competence so socks may be too ambitious as s first knitting project.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts