Day Two, Book Two!

I spent most of yesterday lying on the sofa listening to the first Harry Potter audiobook. I did try to follow in the book but I can read much faster than Mr Fry speaks so, as I kept getting ahead of him, I put the book away and settled down to enjoy his telling of the story. 

I had one delivery yesterday. When I received the text notifying an afternoon delivery I took it for granted that it was the wool I ordered, so had visions of starting work on my new blanket. Those dreams were soon shattered when the delivery turned out to be my replacement kitchen tap, which I currently have no way of getting fitted until normal life is resumed. Maybe the wool will be here soon. 

I only have a couple of things to do today: restocking the kitchen freezer from the garage freezer, and shredding some papers. I also want to contact S to check that he's okay as I have no idea when we'll get to meet up again. This means most of the day is free for a repeat of yesterday, except we move on to book two today. The audiobook runs for about nine and a half hours so I think it's unlikely that I'll finish it in one day.

I'm in need of some fresh air so would like to get out in the garden at some stage and make a start on the weeding. I ordered some compost and cosmos plants online but that has now been cancelled by the supplier so I will look for an alternative source ... maybe one of the local garden centres will deliver? There was a report on TV about the vast number of plants, trees and shrubs that will have to be destroyed now the garden centres have closed, and the very real possibility of the complete collapse of the UK horticulture industry, which is yet another dreadful outcome of the crisis.

The clocks went forward at the weekend so the evenings will stay lighter for longer but ... I still feel the need to close the curtains early and shut out the rest of the world. I have this strong urge to cocoon myself in my home ... understandable I hope, but does anyone else feel like this?

Today's list of things to do:
  • physical: Doctor Jo's knee exercises
  • in the fresh air: spend some time in the garden. 
  • around the house: 'shop' from the garage freezer for the next few day's meals + shredding some paperwork
  • social: visiting friend's blogs to comment + phone call to S
  • fun: a return to Hogwarts for audiobook 2 - Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets

Comments

  1. Not only wanting to cocoon with you (but 3 metres apart), I actually feel afraid to go out - we keep putting off our grocery run. We've been told our lockdown will continue through April with a hint that it could linger into May. That is horrible about all the plants. There was a news story about all the fresh flowers usually shipped from Holland that are being trashed. Too bad they couldn't send them to the nursing homes to cheer the lockdown seniors. I've watched a few of Dr Jo's uTubes for low back pain - she's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've been able to arrange delivery of food items so can stay safe at home but I too am afraid to go out. I think our lockdown will go on even longer - they were talking about 'the second spike in new cases' yesterday, referring to later in the summer.

      The Doctor Jo exercises are starting to make a difference so I will keep going with them. They are definitely much better than the exercises I got from the physio.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Several in my family read them, so book references come out in conversation every once in a while. Garden Centers are still open here (in Memphis, TN) and look much the same as people don't seem to be taking this seriously :( Exercise is part of my day, too, and it helps keep me from completely falling apart lol Getting fresh air is important, and isn't it nice to have a space where you can do that without getting out in public :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has been invaluable as I am supposed - I am self-isolating rather than social distancing so I'm not supposed to leave home.

      Delete
    2. More people would benefit from following your example.

      Delete
  3. I read the books to my children when they were young - yes I read them out loud and it took a long time! but I really want to re-read again. I shall have to see if I can get hold of the audio books. I shall check on my library's website. The actual library is closed but I am already signed up for their digital service as I have used it before so shall check on there. It might be fun to listen to while crafting!

    I hope you find what you need for your garden. Perhaps some local place might be able to do an online delivery. It would be a shame if things did have to be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first audiobook is one of those made available free on Audible during this crisis.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you've planned a nice, relaxed day at home, Eileen. :) If we have to stay home, we might has well make them pleasant, right? I hope you weren't too disappointed when the delivery turned out to be the replacement kitchen tap and not the anticipated wool! But, now, you have the wool to look forward to. :) Hope, too, that you are feeling better. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies,I'm rather late in replying to your comment. I've only just seen it!

      I'm relieved the tap has arrived. The plan is to wait until social distancing is over and then it can be fitted, but if the leak gets worse in the meantime I have the tap ready and waiting.

      Delete
  5. I love those Harry Potter Audios. We also have the books but i have never read one hahaha. I listen to the books when ironing, crafting, driving. I have listened to the books 10 times now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first time I've listened to the audiobooks and I am really enjoying them. I've lost count of how many times I've read the books myself.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts