Food Deliveries, Cooking, and Water Leaks

Yesterday's big event was the long awaited supermarket delivery. They delivered everything I'd ordered with the exception of potatoes, which is a shame because I saw an interesting potato curry recipe on the TV while I was waiting and now will have to wait to make it. Julie is shopping today and has offered to get some for me if she can, which will help with sorting out some decent meals.  Deliveries are currently limited to a maximum of 80 items, so although everything I bought is much needed, it's not the variety I'd normally buy. I need to puzzle out how to rectify that in the future as I think the lock-down will continue for longer than the current extension of three weeks.

Today's culinary efforts are chicken and chickpea curry, lentil curry, fritatta, and some sort of pasta bake. Everything will be portioned and frozen. I also need to think about replacing my stock of tiny portions of the foods I can digest easily after a migraine as I noticed they are getting low. These are mostly 150 ml of blended soups that are fairly low on seasoning - bland at any other time but always help the final stage of recovery. I freeze these in thin layers which, when broken into flakes, reheat quickly in the microwave.

I'm waiting to hear back from the plumber. There is a leak in the family bathroom which I noticed yesterday as it's stained the ceiling in the downstairs hall immediately below the bathroom sink. I'm hoping it can be repaired without having to remove the cupboard installed in front of the pipes - there is an inspection hatch but I don't know if it's big enough. The kitchen tap also needs replacing, which he already knows about, and as I have already bought the replacement tap I will ask him to install that at the same time.

It's choir rehearsal tonight and then I will choose a film or start watching a TV series to finish off the evening.

Today's list of things to do:
  • physical: Doctor Jo's knee exercises
  • in the fresh air: open the windows to air the house
  • around the house: cooking for the freezer
  • social: choir practice
  • fun: jigsaw puzzle, reading, listening to music

Comments

  1. I think that, even if lockdown is lifted (and I think you are right about it lasting longer) those in the vulnerable group will, for their own safety, continue to isolate as much as they possibly can. It is only sensible, given that covid-19 is not going to go away.
    Fingers crossed that the leak is easily sorted.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think isolation and self distancing will have to continue in some form until a vaccine is available and who knows how long that will take.

      I'm still waiting to hear from the plumber!

      Delete
  2. The 80 items does make you rethink your order. I think I may go for larger packs next time if I can them. Milk for example I might go for the largest and decant to freeze. Things like loo rolls and Persil. I have also ordered a few items through Amazon prime , household stuff that I would normally pick up in the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. If I place an order for all the house cleaning products and the toiletries, I can keep the supermarket order just for food.

      It's almost unavoidable to only buy what you need and not be buying extra when deliveries are so difficult to get.

      Delete
  3. It is the new way of shopping. Things like potatoes, bread, milk, eggs are limited to 2 at any shopping online or in person, which makes for some families more need to shop more often. Toilet paper, kleenex & papertowels are limited to 1 per shop. I guess the 80 items is about delivery weight & that the drivers aren't over extending themselves. Hopefully the leak is a quick & easy fix - in today's way of life this makes getting the service more difficult. Fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most things here seem to be limited to 3 items per order whether buying online or in-store. I think the 80 item limit for delivery is that this allows more orders on each delivery van journey.

      He's agreed to come and deal with the leak but he's also a gas registered engineer so has gas related problems to deal with first which are obviously potentially more risky. The leak is just a dribble, rather than pouring out - it's probably been leaking for a while.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    Food delivery problem.
    Too bad that failure, but your friend will surely bring it.
    It’s good to divide it into small portions, it’s easier.
    I hope that repairs will soon be made to the bathroom and kitchen faucet.
    Your time is still very busy.
    Hugs and good health.
    Let’s stay at home.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she can't get any potatoes for me I have rice and pasta, so I won't starve.
      The bathroom leak will be repaired tomorrow but I don't know about the kitchen tap, I forgot to ask if he had time to do it so will see what he says.
      I like keeping busy!Take care, Ailime x

      Delete
  5. So sorry to hear about the water leak! At least it is a small leak! Hopefully, the repair won't take long and the plumber will have enough time to replace the kitchen tap, as well.

    I'm glad you were able to have almost everything you wanted delivered. Hopefully, Julie was able to get you some potatoes. I used up my last potato, yesterday, but, still have a fairly big sweet potato.

    I think it is a good idea to stay home as much as possible, even after the lockdowns have been lifted, because those of us who are in high risk categories will still be vulnerable. Hope your day is going well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leak is repaired and he is looking at the kitchen tap now.

      Julie is dropping the potatoes round later today and last night I managed to book my next food delivery for May 11th, so it's looking good on the food front.

      I won't be going out, except for medical appointments, even when the lockdown is lifted until there is a vaccine or they can prove that the virus has become dormant. For some reason the UK are still allowing non-residents into the country without testing so we'll remain vulnerable as a nation while that particular issue is addressed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts