Shopping, Reorganising, and Cooking

Maggie mentioned buying toiletries and household cleaners from Amazon to leave the supermarket order purely for food items. Brilliant idea, so I thought I'd do the same ... but in the meantime had been told that Poundland do home deliveries. There's a clue in the name so I've been able to order all the toiletries I use, buying my usual brand but at much cheaper prices. I've also ordered the majority of household cleaning products I need, again at a big saving though not my usual brands. The only thing I couldn't get is washing liquid and conditioner combined so will add that to the next supermarket order. With Poundland there is a minimum order value of £30 so I may have made up that value with chocolate bars!!

I used the last of my Christmas and birthday tokens and ordered three books for myself, and solved the problem of a lack of male birthday cards in my stash by ordering one from Moonpig to be sent directly to my brother-in-law for next week. All the rest of the birthdays this year are for the females, children and adults, but I have a good selection of cards so am prepared. I always give the children money so, if movement is still restricted, I will be able to gift them via bank transfer or I still have plenty of time to get hold of some cash.

I finished sorting out the kitchen cupboards, then cooked up some portions of curry for the freezer. I found some fish pieces in the freezer which really need to be used up so, now I have some potatoes, will make fish pies and shepherds pies today and while they are cooking I'll roast a selection of veg for the freezer as well.

I want to take some time to look over my budget. I haven't overspent but have bought things earlier than normal and also need to account for the plumber's bill. I'm definitely spending less overall since the lockdown started and the majority of entertainment is free or at a much reduced price. It'll be interesting to see how much I've saved.

On one of the local community sites there was an enquiry asking for recommendations for someone to keep their garden tidy, which got over twenty responses. I will follow up on those and see if I can get someone to help with my garden. From the responses it seems that quite a few gardeners are still working as they are able to follow the need for social distancing. 

I watched the National Theatre's Treasure Island yesterday afternoon (very good) and the Les Miserables Staged Concert in the evening (absolutely brilliant!). This afternoon plan I to relax, play some online games and fit in some more research on the family tree. Tonight it's the online quiz with J and L. 

Today's list of things to do:
  • physical: Doctor Jo's knee exercises
  • in the fresh air: time in the garden
  • around the house: probably nothing!
  • social: blogging, virtual quiz with J and L
  • fun: online games, family tree research

Comments

  1. I've found that with Jeff. Gardening is safely distanced and it's not something he can do at home, so no problems.

    Thanks for the tip about Poundline. I'll follow that up.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poundland are only accepting a certain number of orders every day so it's best to try in the mornings. There is a delivery charge but even with that, it was still considerably cheaper than the supermarket.

      Delete
    2. A correction - it's poundshop.com not Poundland

      Delete
  2. It is amazing how many business have risen to the lock down challenges & provided either curb side pick up or delivery options. Our dollar stores, similar to your pound stores, do not provide either options & if they sell food items they can remain open otherwise not deemed as an essential service. I found Costco was an excellent option to the grocery stores for dry goods & cleaning items. It will be interesting to see how your budget is faring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to report that the budget is looking very healthy despite the fact that some prices are creeping up and I've also been buying from a variety of shops, some of which are more expensive.

      The poundshop in town is probably open but I am not supposed to be going out so it was a bonus to see that deliveries were available.

      Delete
  3. Good tip about Poundshop. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their website isn't the easiest but worth persevering for the savings.

      Delete
  4. Sorry I'm a bit late with my comments, today. But, it sounds like you are doing very well, Eileen. I'm glad you found a more inexpensive place to purchase some of the household items you need and they deliver, too. Good to know that your budget is doing OK, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll forgive you for being late ;)

      I was pleasantly surprised by how little I've spent now I can't leave the house. The new to me stores offering online delivery and a cost saving have made me realise how much can still be saved by shopping around.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts