Home, Garden and Exercise

Okay, a question to start you off and you can have one guess ... Who now has a gardener to help out as needed? I'll give you some time to think about it ...
...
...
...
...
 time's nearly up ...
...
...
...

and the correct answer is ... it's me!!!!!


She's lovely, very easy to talk to and is keen to take on the maintenance of my garden, hopefully starting at the beginning of June. The delay is because the nursery her son goes to isn't opening up until then. She is just restarting her business after maternity leave and is busy contacting people and getting organised. I'm in the diary anyway so I am a happy bunny!

In the meantime she is buying the compost and annuals for the pots and will be sending through a list of suitable shrubs for me to choose which I'd like. Just as she was leaving, Julie (a neighbour, not my friend with the same name) came over with a couple of magnolia plants for me. She'd complained about the quality of her original delivery so they sent her extra as replacements but she hasn't got room for all of them so passed some on to me. They're for containers but she can't remember the variety, so at the moment they are both planted in my biggest container and D will sort them out properly when she's here next. They just look like sticks at present so let's all keep our fingers crossed please. I'm now hoping that the recycling yard opens up by the end of the month as there is going to be a lot of green waste to dispose of.

Neighbour Julie also updated me about the other neighbour, yet another Julie, who was taken away in an ambulance the other day. It's nothing to do with coronavirus thankfully; an elderly woman, she had a nasty fall, has broken some bones and is still in hospital. So not the best news for her but in these strange times it's a tremendous relief to hear that, even though a fall and broken bones also carries an increased risk of death in the elderly, it's not the dreaded virus.

I recharged my Fitbit yesterday and set a daily target of 3,000 steps for starters. I know it's not enough in the long term, but baby steps will get me back in the habit of exercising without putting too much strain on my knee. I reached my target quite easily but will leave it set at that level for the rest of the week. So achieving that, together with the knee exercises, currently makes up my daily quota of exercise. I am looking on YouTube for some suitable stretching exercises if anyone knows of any please?

It's the quiz with J and L tonight but the rest of the day is going to be a pottering sort of day. I need to do a load of washing, want to sort some more of the photo files, and would like to make a start on creating some space in the garage. 

Comments

  1. Woo hoo - that's brilliant news. It makes such a difference and it sounds like she will be much more of a proper gardener than my lovely chap is.

    Any exercise is good so don't knock it ! :-)

    And I hope Julie will be OK. Not a great time to be in hospital really.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's RHS trained and certainly seems to know her stuff.

      I can feel the effects today and sadly, not in a good way - after exercise this morning my knee is swollen again! So I will have to go even slower and alternate an exercise day with a rest day.

      I hope she is okay as well. I don't know her that well, just to wave to or the occasional quick chat, but I think she's in her 80s so the hospital was discussing her going into a care home for rehabilitation but that's been refused by the family. It's a very worrying time for all of them.

      Delete
  2. Yay! I guessed correctly! LOL! So glad that you now have a gardener lined up to start in a few weeks! Well done on the walking, too. Glad to hear that your neighbor who was taken to hospital was taken due to a fall and not the virus! There were 3 fire trucks and an ambulance that stopped by a neighbor's house, last night, but, I have not been able to find out why and what happened. Good luck on the quiz tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a relief to have found someone and the bonus is that she has the knowledge to help me get the garden to how I want it to be.

      Yes it's good news about my neighbour and I hope it turns out to be the same for yours.

      Delete
  3. I too guessed correctly. Yeah you, that's a relief to know the work & maintenance will be taken care of. And how kind of your Julie neighbour to give you the plants. Returning to walking hopefully will be fun, but yes, slow, better just 2 steps forward than the 300 back. After a long winter, I've been doing my morning shoulder & back stretches to prepare for gardening which are mostly yoga stretches of which I remember from the physio therapist I worked with at the clinics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of it but beginners yoga may be a good option for me. Thanks for the idea.

      I hope the magnolia grow. They do honestly look like sticks - no sign of life at all and the roots were completely dry, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on finding such a congenial spirit to be your gardener. I look forward to hearing all about it -maybe even some photos?- as I love outdoor gardening and am always interested in seeing how other people manage their spaces. The magnolia trees are a nice addition.

    I second the yoga suggestion made above. Gentle stretches are a regular part of yoga practice. Yoga with Adriene is a popular channel https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene/videos and she has several videos especially for stretches and for beginners. This other web page has photos and descriptions of 7 recommended stretches: https://www.doyou.com/7-yoga-poses-and-exercises-for-a-good-morning-stretch/ I love yoga ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry,there'll be plenty of photos of the garden. 😁😁

      Thanks for the yoga links. I'll have a look at them tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Yay!!! That's great news. Now, when can we see photos of your garden? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do some 'before' ones just before she returns and will record the progress. She's starting on the front garden first.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts