The Simple Woman's Daybook - Saturday 30th May 2020

FOR TODAY - SATURDAY 30TH MAY 2020

Outside my window ... it's a beautiful sunny day. Blue sky, fluffy white clouds .... and someone has a bonfire so I can't have the windows open!

I am thinking ... about the latest changes in the easing of the coronavirus lockdown. My great niece, Miss C, is in year 6 so is one of the children who has to return to school on Monday. I don't know what her parents have decided about this or whether they plan to wait until September, but I am worried for the strain it puts on her if she does go back - she is old enough to have an understanding of the situation and the risks and I know she will be anxious about catching the virus and infecting her family. I understand that the education side of things is important but don't think a return this early is worth the impact it will have on her mental health.

I am thankful ... that I have been able to continue with the decluttering. It's so close to the end that I don't want to stop now. 

In the kitchen ... I will be cooking a batch of bolognese sauce and freezing the extra portions. There is room in the freezer but I will have to do a bit of tidying to make that space evident!

I am wearing ... red t-shirt, black and red skirt. No bra - that's been the best outcome of the lockdown!

I am creating ... some origami flowers. Actually, I will qualify that statement .... I am trying to create some origami flowers to brighten up the living room. I thought I'd use up some of my crafting papers rather than buy new but the pretty coloured ones are too thick, so it's not going too well. I may have to rethink!

I am going ... to make a start on the SPSH next week. I have ideas for most of the prompts and should be able to take these photos in the home and garden. I still need to come up with ideas for about a third of the list so have expanded my search area to include the marina, as that should be a low risk place to visit with my camera.

I am wondering ... how long it'll be before a stricter lock down is imposed. The second stage of the easing starts on Monday but already some people seem to have their own interpretation of the new rules which result in mixing closely with more people than is permitted. Worryingly, I have seen some interviews with medical experts who have advised that the UK is 'sailing very close to the wind' with the speed and approach to easing the lock-down so a second spike seems in inevitable.

I am reading ... yes, that statement is true and I am back to reading properly and once again experiencing the pleasure of losing myself in the story. The genre for the Diversify Your Reading Challenge for June is non-fiction but I haven't chosen what I'll read yet. I can count the cookery books and gardening books I'm dipping into if necessary but I'd like to find a non-fiction book to read through, although there is nothing in the bookcase so I'll have to look for something (cheap!) for the Kindle.


I am watching ... much more TV than normal. I sometimes switch the TV on during the day just to hear other people speaking and this has resulted in discovering some new and enjoyable programmes. I discovered Monty Don's 'Big Dreams Small Spaces', and have enjoyed the all Chelsea Flower Show programmes. I try to catch Richard Osman's House of Games every day even though they are currently all repeats. I watch The Shows Must Go On release every week, which was Hairspray Live! this time, and also keep an eye on releases from the Bristol Old Vic, the Royal Ballet, and the National Theatre. Today I'll watch the Bristol Old Vic's screening of the Messiah which I tried to watch last night but couldn't get it to work properly. The Royal Ballet have released 'The Cellist' which I saw earlier this year but may watch again while I have the opportunity as it is absolutely beautiful ... it's the story of Jacqueline Du Pré.  

I am hoping ...  that the local National Trust car parks reopen soon. I'd like to drive out to Avebury as there's plenty of space to keep it a low risk activity but it's a tiny village with nowhere to park if the NT car park is closed. I'm also hoping that Longleat allow access to Heaven's Gate and Shearwater soon as they will be good low risk places to visit as well. (note: I have seen photos on Facebook of people visiting Heaven's Gate and Shearwater but the official line is that access is not permitted so I am adhering to that)

I am looking forward to ... D, the gardener, starting work on the 9th June. She's tidying up the front garden first and will be here once a fortnight (I think) so it's going to take a while to get on top of things but it will be officially a 'work in progress' once she starts and I'm happy with that. I will be able to discuss some of my ideas with her and maybe get some things ordered - I've been looking at external pots with water reservoirs, which is one of the things I want to discuss with her, as this will make it easier to go away for short breaks in the future and not have to worry about the watering. It will also make the regular watering much easier as well which, taking into account the number of pots I will have, is important. If any of you have used the pots with water reservoirs I'll be interested to hear what you think of them please.

I am learning ... how important the little things in life are. Actually, I am constantly being reminded of it but it's something I've known for ages.

Around the house ...  it's clean and tidy but now has that lived in look rather than looking like a showroom! I still love the choices I made when I had the room redecorated and bought the new furniture, carpets and curtain ... it's home! 

I am pondering ... nothing really! I don't know the long term plan for the country coming out of lock-down so have no idea when normal life will resume, except that I can't see how it will be any time this year. I'm just concentrating on staying content and enjoying my days in isolation with only virtual contact with friends and family. The reality is that long term plans aren't happening, although I do know that my first long trip when it is safe, will be to see the sea again. 

One of my favourite things ... the 'pop' when you puncture the seal on a new jar of coffee.

A few plans for the rest of the week ... a drive out to Westbury White Horse (about 3 miles away), watch a Matthew Bourne ballet, choir practice, quizzes, Zoom afternoon coffee and cakes with J and L. 
  • Sunday will be whichever ballet I choose,
  • Monday will be the online choir practice,
  • Tuesday will be a drive to the White Horse and a Zoom meet up with J and L,
  • Wednesday will be a walk around the marina (5 minutes away), 
  • Thursday will be the online quiz with J and L, 
  • Friday will be the online choir quiz followed by whichever musical is released, 
  • Saturday will be the street quiz followed by a Netflix film. 
A peek into my day ... a morning in the kitchen and an afternoon reading. This evening I'll choose a couple of Netflix films.

A quote for today ... "Stay Positive. Better days are on their way", Unknown.

Comments

  1. She may not go back on Monday. Our year sixes aren't starting until Thursday. Monday and Tuesday are Y1 (and keyworkers' children, of course). They're taking it extremely carefully, I gather. And I know some won't be going back yet.

    It's surprising how quickly things will start to look better in the garden - I think you'll be really pleased.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your experience in teaching, do you think the return to school for any child before the summer break is completely necessary? I keep meaning to ask your opinion.

      Delete
    2. Personally - I think it is way too early and the little that schools can offer and still maintain effective distancing reduces the impact even more. The FS children are NOT going back. How on earth can you keep such little ones distanced without being restrictive and unkind? They learn through play and , while some of that is solitary play, most isn't.
      It's going to be hard enough for Y1 and I feel for the staff who have to 'police' it.
      Y 6 are old enough to understand but there will be a whole load of worries to deal with.
      And there's no guarantee of safety, despite all the rules, for staff or children.
      Actually, I could go on for ages, but you get the idea. I think it is unwise and, I also think, more politically and economy based than anything else.

      I do have a feeling that part time attendance is going to be the thing for some time to come.
      xx

      Delete
    3. Yes I do get the idea and agree with everything you've said. Thanks for responding x

      Delete
  2. Great about the reading and the SPSH and the feeling of home. Sigh!

    Interesting, your thoughts about the stricter lockdown. I would be amazed if it didn't happen - yet it is rarely mentioned, or not with any conviction. I feel as if I am sleepwalking. Energy levels flagging now, lack of any clear picture isn't helping, and the slight leeway somehow more unsettling than full lockdown. I am not an anxious person but I'm starting to fixate on trivialities and bigger things alike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that they are rushing too quickly and, should the infection rate increase, it will be out of control by the time they realise. The current move to stage 2 shows their lack of knowledge of how some people feel and will behave. They are busy reminding us that we can't meet other household until Monday so why didn't they wait until Sunday to announce that could happen? Snippets of information too soon and lacking clear details and instructions is stressful. And don't get me started on the sport resuming on Monday!

      Life now feels rather unreal. My energy is poor too but I'm putting that down to the meds and hope to be back to normal next week. I agree that this slight easing of restrictions is unsettling and friends and family feel the same.

      Take care, Lady E, and stay safe xx

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post. :) I have only heard of, and seen pictures of, Avebury and the White Horse. I hope you'll take lots of pictures of your visit, when you do go, and share them with us. :) These uncertain times are anxiety producing, aren't they? I am trying to focus on the present and only the immediate future. I've some medical appointments scheduled for June and early July, but, other than that, nothing planned! Just taking each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I will bore you senseless with all my photos when I go to any of these places 😊

      I have some medical appointments as well but will try to reschedule them again. I am supposed to still be isolating - the easing of lockdown doesn't apply to the high risk groups - and there is no indication at all when the situation will change for me. I think that's what's underlying the unsettled feeling, the not knowing when it will change for me.

      Delete
  4. The decisions people are having to make are difficult, especially where kids and school is concerned :( Your home sounds like you've created a haven you won't mind sheltering in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've described it perfectly - it is my haven.

      It is difficult to know what to do for the best with the conflicting information we're given.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts