Friday


It poured down all day yesterday and today isn't looking too promising. There are local flood warnings and some damage to buildings. The other end of the village floods regularly but, according to a neighbour, the causeway on the main road isn't under water yet though the flood plains on both sides of it are filling up rapidly. I live in the higher end of the village so there is no risk of flooding here thank goodness.



Of course, along with the flooding comes the power cuts so I didn't get as much of the cooking done as I was planning. I knocked the chicken and chickpea curry into shape and made a pot of Bolognese sauce and some potato topped fish pies but that was it. I'm hoping to cook chilli, fishcakes, and chicken tikka masala today so need the power to stay on this morning at least. Well I need the power to stay on all day but won't be too upset about the rest of the day as long as I get the food sorted. 

It's the choir quiz tonight followed by Peter Pan Live!, the show that was cancelled two weeks ago. I've fully charged the laptop just in case, so will be able to do both of these even if the power fails. 

This afternoon I'm planning a WhatsApp video call with J and L, and will carry on reading the book I started yesterday - Holding by Graham Norton. I enjoyed his other book so am hoping this one, his first novel, is just as good. Also the box files I need should turn up - I didn't order any as B is clearing out his study and is letting me have the one's he no longer needs. If they're okay I can get on with reorganising the paperwork next week and that'll be another job that I can tick off on the Big List.

Comments

  1. It's good news about Peter Pan, isn't it? I'm looking forward to that too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. Let's hope it lives up to expectations!

      Delete
  2. Aw, the poor rose is drenched! It certainly looks very wet, outside! Sorry to hear about the power going out. I hope you are able to get your cooking done, today. Your fish pie sounds good. My mother used to make a fish pie with a mashed potato topping, when I was a little girl. I haven't made that in a long time. I hope your day goes well and you have a fun video call with your friends. Take care and stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems the power cuts are the result of a problem other than the floodwaters as there was a note through the door to say that emergency repairs will be taking place overnight and the electricity supply will be interrupted.

      At the moment it's fine and I got up early to get the cooking done. The chicken and fish had been defrosted so I couldn't re-freeze without cooking it first - the fishcakes are cooling and the chilli and curry are nearly ready to portion out, so I can relax once that's finished.

      I love fish pie with mashed potatoes on top. It's one of my favourite comfort meals.

      Delete
  3. Your rose looks wet through. You have been a virtual Mary Berry in the kitchen creating all kinds of tasty delights. Hopefully those files will be just what you need for your filing sort. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks even better today! I've had enough of the rain now so please can it go away for a couple of weeks?

      The files are in okay condition so I'm going to use them for now and then buy new when necessary.

      Delete
  4. We're getting rains, but flooding's another matter entirely. It's more destructive than people realize if they haven't seen it first-hand. I hope you enjoy Peter Pan Live :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flooding wasn't too bad this time. Now the rain has stopped and we have a period of sunny days, it will soon recede.

      I liked Peter Pan but thought Christopher Walken was a strange choice to play Hook!

      Delete
    2. Yes, that is an interesting choice. Fun!

      Delete
    3. It's the first time I've seen Hook portrayed as 'bewildered'. He didn't seem to be 'with it' and can't dance to save his life, which you'd think was a requisite to be in a singing/dancing role!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts