The End of the Staycation

I've decided to cut short my staycation but first of all I'm bursting to tell you some brilliant news ... I have another great nephew, born early yesterday morniing to my nephew, M, and his wife, R. He's their first child and weighed in at a whopping 9 lbs 15 ozs! I don't know when I'll get to meet him as mum and baby are staying in hospital for a couple of days of observation. 

So, back to my staycation. I decided that yesterday was the last day, not because I haven't enjoyed myself but the time feels right to resume my new normal/very similar to lockdown everyday life with tweaks here and there to accommodate the aspects of life that are starting to open up and that I feel comfortable about doing. I originally chose to treat the start of September as a holiday as I could feel myself anticipating the start of the school year and of course, now I'm retired, that's no longer a feature of my life. The reality is that I'm not missing the return to school and private teaching at all. Whether that's down to an acceptance that it just can't happen this year, I don't know, but it is what it is and I now need to look forward where the reality is that every day can be a holiday if I want it to be!

The staycation has moved me forward, no doubt about that. From not venturing out at all, in the space of a week I have met face to face with friends, eaten out, visited garden centres and been shopping. It's all been done with sensible adherence to social distancing, liberal use of hand sanitiser and A level mask wearing and I've found that with each thing I've done, the less anxious I've been. It's still not 'easy' but is getting easier the more I do and I don't want to lose this momentum. It helps that I live in an area where the number of cases and the rate of infection has always been one of the lowest in the UK. I have no desire to be rushing here, there, and everywhere and for the majority of the time my everyday life will be so similar to lockdown I won't be able to tell the difference, but I can now add in some safe social interactions that will give me something to look forward to.

It's also that the time feels right to carry on with the remainder of the decluttering. I'm itching to get it finished, including the garage clearance (which I'm blaming Joy for!).

So to avoid any weekend crowds now the schools are back I will spend some time today sorting the garden end of the garage - deciding what stays, what goes, and just generally tidying up. There are a couple of other things at that end of the garage that I'd like to sell so will take the photos and place the adverts. 

The rest of the day is set aside for time with friends. P & L are breaking their journey to London and will call in to spend some time with me. It will have to be indoors as L is now permanently on oxygen so this will also allow time for her to rest on the sofa and recharge her batteries for the remainder of their journey. 

Comments

  1. Enjoy your friends' visit. You sound happy and positive, you inspire me to get out a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynn, I am feeling happy and positive. Now I've been out and about and lived to tell the tale, my anxiety is at a much lower level and I will be able to keep a lid on it.

      I'm looking forward to seeing P & L later.

      Delete
  2. Because I've been out and about all through lockdown and seen all the changes at first hand as they happen I've not been worried about doing anything. Just wish a few more things were open to do.
    Enjoy your decluttering! The problem here is no charity shops are taking stuff at the moment as they have so much stock and not enough buyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and congrats on the new family member - a Very Good Size!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sue. A lot of us need to change some of the clothes we bought for him for a much bigger size!

      Quite a lot of the remaining decluttered items are to be sold so I feel ready to tackle that. The rest, especially from the garage, will go to the skip when I can book a slot.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the latest addition to the family!

    Sounds like the staycation helped you to see that you are ready to resume every day activities and you sound happy with your decision to cut it short. :)

    Oh, no, don't remind me of the garage! Mine is a total mess! But, it is too hot to go out there to tidy it. Our forecast says 111F tomorrow and 114F on Sunday. I'm staying indoors with the fans on! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I received some more photos last night and he is such a handsome little chappie. 💙

      Yes, the staycation helped me evaluate my approach to the situation. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to do exactly what I want now I'm retired so that's what I will do within the constraints of the coronavirus situation. I can still live the best life I can.

      My garage isn't too bad. The gardening end is untidy so shouldn't take long to sort and for starters, I want to see what else is in there and make decisions about what what to do with it.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the great nephew!

    I went through our garage recently, trying to make more space for the cars lol, which is what the garage is for here ;) So many things I'd forgotten were there! It's a task that needs doing every once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never get my car in the garage, there's too much stuff in there. Even when I'm finished sorting, I very much doubt there will be room because I'm toying with the idea of getting an exercise bike and maybe a rowing machine.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the birth of your great nephew.

    Hope you had a lovely time with your friends. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. Yes, we had a lovely time catching up with all the news.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts