The Simple Woman's Daybook

 FOR TODAY - SATURDAY 26TH SEPTEMBER 2020


Outside my window ... It's supposed to be a dry day. 

I am thinking ... about the things I need to sort out/put in place before the winter. The Christmas arrangements will be more difficult this year and I doubt I'll get to see most people face to face so am trying to decide what to do about gifts, and how I want to spent the actual day. I was going away but that's been cancelled by the company, so I need to make other arrangements.

I am thankful ... that all my family and friends remain safe and well during these strange times. This is the same comment as the last time I wrote one of these posts, but it is the most important thing and I'm genuinely thankful that the people I love have stayed safe ... everything else pales in comparison.

In the kitchen ... not a lot is happening! Next week I need to devote some time to preparing some more meals for the freezer. It's worth the effort because I'll have a good selection of healthy meals to choose from and now the days are cooler I am feeling the need for some comfort food.

I am wearing ... or will be wearing once I get out of bed, red skirt and top.

I am creating ... an updated version of the family tree using the new software. It's much more user friendly than the software I was using before and I'm enjoying the process, although I've only been doing it for a day so ask me again in a few weeks and I may not be as enthusiastic!

I am going ... to the Family History Show today, a virtual trip of course. I bought my ticket some time ago and had forgotten about it until the reminder email turned up yesterday. I'm hoping I'll be fortunate enough to have a zoom chat with one of the experts and get some tips on how to get started on my paternal grandfather's line.

I am wondering ... all sorts of things and nothing in particular. I feel unsettled about the coronavirus situation and wonder what is ahead for us in terms of additional restrictions if the current attempts to flatten the curve don't work.

I am reading ... Richard Osman's, 'The Thursday Murder Club'.  I only started it last night and am loving it ... I kept reading long after I should have turned out the light last night early this morning, so  the need for sleep will probably hit me later this afternoon. 


I am watching ... much more TV than usual. Current favourites include The Repair Shop, Would I Lie To You, Only Connect, All Creatures Great and Small, and some of the offerings on Sky Arts. I'm also watching the Church Conservation Trust's weekly lectures, and of course, The Shows Must Go On has resumed their weekly musical so I will be watching all of those as well.

I am hoping ... that I hear back from the auction house this week. They advised that there would be a delay in responding because of their revised working arrangements but I'd like to get it all sorted as soon as possible.

I am looking forward to ... collaborating with my cousins on the family history, sharing old family photos and putting names to as many faces as we can, and sharing the family stories we grew up hearing. It's going to be a fun project.

I am learning ... to speak and write Italian. I do about 20 minutes study every day, which seems to be as much as my brain can cope with (!), and I'm pleased with the steady progress I'm making.

Around the house ...  it's 'home'! I'm keeping it tidy, staying on top of all the chores, and am still loving living here. 

I am pondering ... how to increase/improve my fitness levels. There are plenty of YouTube videos I can follow but they all feel like 'exercise' and I'm wanting ways of being more active without actually doing an exercise routine. I'm considering Couch to 5K but walking rather than running, unless there is actually an equivalent app for walking.

One of my favourite things ... choral music.

A few plans for the rest of the week ... 
  • Sunday will be a photo walk, weather permitting, and a WhatsApp video call with friends
  • Monday, the SMART meters will be fitted, and in the evening it's the online choir practice,
  • Tuesday will be a drive out in the car, or a short walk with L,
  • Wednesday will be a short walk with J, 
  • Thursday will be the lunch time lecture by The Churches Conservation Trust,
  • Friday will be a visit from M to tend the garden, and an evening watching whichever musical is released, 
  • Saturday will be a lazy day, probably reading.
A peek into my day ... R will be dropping some stuff off this morning and the rest of the day is set aside for the Family History Show. It's available online until 16:00 but I doubt I'll last the whole day. I'm hoping to get a one-to-one advice session with one of the experts about the best way forward on getting started on the remaining branch of my family.

A quote for today ... "Happiness is letting go of what you think your life should look like", unknown

Comments

  1. I enjoy reading your Daybook posts. Sounds like you have a good day planned and have something to look forward to almost every day in the week ahead! I hope you have a fun day, today, and good weather for your planned walk, tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless, it should be a good week if it all works out. There will probably have to be changes in some of my plans because the latest forecast for this week is not good, but I will have plenty to keep me busy with updating the family tree. If the weather stops me seeing L and J in person we'll still meet virtually via WhatsApp video.

      Delete
  2. Remaining safe and well is the most important thing and gratitude that those we love are doing just that :) I'm putting some different kinds of bean soup in the freezer for the coming colder days. Those are comfort foods for me :)

    I don't know of an app for such a walking plan, but there are several web sites like this one: https://www.verywellfit.com/beginners-5k-walk-training-schedule-3435038 that offer plans. I hope you find an actual app that suits you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't managed to find a suitable app but I could be looking for something that simply doesn't exist. The site you've linked to looks useful so that's a good starting point .. thanks.

      It's definitely soups, stews, and curries on the bulk cooking list. They're my comfort foods.

      Delete
  3. Wow you certainly sound busy!

    I'm not sure what the holidays will bring. I can't say I'm really in the mood. This year has just been...weird and I'm ready for it to be done. Sadly I don't think a lot will improve at the beginning of next year.

    I must admit that I don't exercise. I go for long walks but there is lots of stopping and starting to take photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second of my busy weeks. I can assure you it's not usually like that now and I spend most of my time at home alone.

      I do go out for photo walks but don't include them in my exercise plan. I'm trying to arrange to walk with friends because I'll do the walk if I've made the arrangement but probably wouldn't bother if I was doing it on my own.

      Christmas plans will be centred around the young children in the family and making sure they have a good time even if there can't be the usual large gatherings.

      Delete
  4. I really like your quote for the day. How true!

    Have a great weekend, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I've printed it out and framed it ... it's a good thing to keep reminding myself of.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts