Tuesday

I didn't get to Sainsburys to buy the baby clothes yesterday. I did try but the cars were queuing back out of the car park so I abandoned the idea. It does mean that I should try again today. I'm meeting J for lunch so will park at hers when we get back and walk to the store from there. I was going to buy some bits and pieces to top up until the next supermarket delivery but now don't need to as I placed an order to be delivered first thing on Thursday morning - it seems that Tesco's online service is back to normal and it's now much easier to book a delivery slot.

I managed to resolve the problems with the family tree database yesterday. I don't have any idea what caused the duplication of records but it didn't take too long to resolve it. I also sorted out some stuff from the garage to sell and placed the ads. I haven't finished the garage yet but I've ordered some more shelving, so I'm waiting for that to be delivered and assembled before I do any more sorting of garage type things. Once the new shelving is in place it won't take too long to finish rearranging the rest of the garage.

My attempt to learn the Italian language is progressing nicely. I've managed to devote time every day to it and am starting to feel confident about some of it, although I honestly cannot see how useful some of the phrases will be ... things like "my turtle doesn't like butter", and "the lion doesn't eat the penguin"! I need a lot more opportunities to speak the language, so will start investigating possibilities for that at some stage. 

It's going to be a fairly quiet day today. I'm meeting J for lunch, followed by a quick dash to Sainsburys, and this evening have booked a place on an online macro photography short talk, but that's about it. I did debate whether to stay at home today following yesterday's announcement that one of the local senior school has sent pupils home because one pupil and some of the staff have tested positive for coronavirus. The entire year 9 and some staff have to isolate for the next fourteen days but the rest of the year groups are still attending school. Thankfully this isn't the school that Miss C goes to. Anyway I have decided to stick to my plan and will meet with J as agreed unless she'd prefer to cancel for now.

I think it's the second episode of the new and updated series of All Creatures Great and Small tonight. I watched the first one just to see what it was like - I loved the original series and this one looks like it'll be just as good, so I will carry on watching the rest. It's also made me want to read the books again but I don't know where my copies are. That sort of gentle paced humour is perfect viewing for these strange times.

Comments

  1. Schools are constantly being closed here for ‘Covid cleaning’. It’s been a bone of contention between different states over the open/closed, which age groups if any are allowed to go. They stay open for ‘vulnerable’ children and those of essential workers but the discussions are over all the others. Younger ones should be able to catch up but it’s those in their final years who have so much to lose. Seemingly some are thriving with ‘online classes’ others are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult to know what to do for the best isn't it. I'm just so glad that I'm retired so don't have to be in schools any more.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Eileen
    I loved the episode of new "All Creatures....." A gentle watch which is what I need. Have you looked online at BBC Italian? Lots of useful conversation scenarios and not a penguin in sight!
    Hope you get to see your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it too. I was worried that they'd mess it up in some way but it was, as you say, a gentle watch.

      I've just looked at the BBC Italian. It looks like it'll be a useful resource so thanks for letting me know about it.

      Delete
  3. I think I have in my collection of inherited books, a hardcover of the countryside of James Herriot. I must go have a look for that. When you say the original series, has there been more than one series created? I'll try at the library for the DVD set. Hopefully all your meet ups will go well. Two regions over from us, 1 teacher in prep, tested positive for COVID-19, now the whole school start date has been pushed back. In our region the primary grades are delayed to start, but the high schools are a go for today. I'm glad all my univ classes are still online, I doubt I'd go into a lecture of 90-100 persons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original series starred Robert Hardy and Christopher Timothy. They've just made a new series, being shown for the first time, starring Samuel West and Nicholas Ralph. The first episode was shown on Sunday so there's plenty to look forward to. I don't know of any other versions.

      I've just got home from meeting J and then buying the baby clothes. It went well, felt almost normal but it was lovely to see her.

      No I wouldn't go to lectures with that many people either!

      Delete
    2. I think there was one other version, a sort-of feature film for TV, which covered perhaps half of the first series of the original production. Like you, I loved that Hardy/Timothy/Davison classic and have such happy memories of watching it as a family on Sunday evenings after (I think) Songs of Praise! I only noticed last night that there was a new series so quickly watched last week's episode on catch-up and have set the rest to record as I agree it was really good. True to the books and doesn't spoil the memory of what was done before. Even used the same music! :o)

      Anyway, nice chatting! Hope you had a good meal today and managed to exchange the baby clothes. He'll be the best-dressed baba in town!

      Delete
    3. I've just checked and you're right - there was a film starring Anthony Hopkins and Simon Ward. I can't remember watching it and it doesn't have particularly good reviews.

      I'm so pleased they used the same music. It took me right back to watching it with my mum and with Ced.

      The meal was yummy and I felt safe in his everything was arranged. It's not something I'd want to do too often but I'm glad we went. I also now have the baby clothes in a much bigger size and will pass them over with the receipt so they can change things if necessary.

      Delete
    4. The film was so-so. I think I found it by chance online a year or two ago and watched it one dreary Sunday afternoon. It passed the time but I'd've enjoyed it better had I not had the BBC version in mind.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations with your progress with Italian! I enjoyed the original All Creatures Great and Small and hadn't realized there was a new one. I'll check it out, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new one is on Channel 5 and they'll screen episode 2 tonight. I've only watched one episode so far and am already hoping there will be another series!

      Delete
  5. Glad to read that you were able to meet with J and then, get the baby clothes. Sounds like your garage organizing is coming along nicely, too. Well, you never know, but, those phrases you are learning in Italian might come in useful to start conversations! You could be seated in a little restaurant in Italy and confide to one of the other diners that your turtle doesn't like butter and you might be in the middle of a discussion about pets and their eating preferences in no time at all! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good day, catching up with J face to face is do much better than video calls! The store was almost empty so I had a bit of a wander round after sorting the clothes. I went in what was probably their quiet time - after the lunch hour rush but before schools finish for the day - so I may start doing some of my shopping in-store again.

      Haha, or they might think I'm crazy and move tables to get away from me! 🤣🤣

      Delete
  6. I remember watching the original when I was little. It wasn't my favourite (I was pretty young) but I wouldn't mind seeing the new ones if they ever reach across the pond. Glad the Italian is coming on nicely. The macro talk sounds fun - my next wish list lens is a macro one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the macro talk will be available online afterwards. If it is I'll post a link for you. It's to do with macro photography of wildlife.

      I'm saving up for a macro lens.

      Delete
  7. Dam reading this on Wednesday morning I realise we missed James Herriot last night. I shall have to watch it on catch up. I don’t blame you for turning away from Sainsburys if it was that busy . I still order groceries online although I now have it delivered rather than click and collect because there are so many delivery slots available.
    Have you considered looking at M&S baby clothes online? They are always good quality and roomy in size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll still do the bulk of my food shopping online but will now have the confidence to shop in-store for bits if needed.

      I didn't think about M&S online but it's all sorted now as I made it to Sainsburys on my second attempt! It's a thought for his Christmas gift though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts