Wednesday


Some of you asked about the mindfulness Advent calendar yesterday so I've photographed it for you to see. It a jar filled with 24 slips of paper, each detailing a different mindfulness activity. They're not individually numbered like most Advent calendars so it's just a lucky dip. The photo below shows yesterday's choice ...


This is the only time I'll show the entire instruction as I don't think it is fair on the company that produces it, but I will mention what each activity is. Yesterday's was completed in part but as I live alone, it simply isn't possible to watch the reactions of others, etc. I like that it's encouraging me to be fully present in the moment, which is an aspect of life that needs attention, but am hoping that each day's instruction doesn't involve a group activity.

Today I have very little planned. The only thing in the diary is a Zoom meetup with J this afternoon and the rest of the day will be spent pottering about the house. There are still a few bits to finish off - some ironing, another load of washing, and a letter to write, but none of that will take too long. Once that's done I'll see what my Advent task is today and then carry on with my book. 

On a completely different matter ... does anyone know why it's so hard to get hold of ground allspice? Tesco and Sainsbury's are both out of stock again for the second month.

Comments

  1. Thank you - I
    It could be that everyone has realised their allspice is out of date and needs more for Christmas cooking?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just have to come up with an alternative. Bless has a suggestion (see below). I think more people are baking now, including myself.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the mindfulness advent calendar. I quite understand why you wouldn't want to share each day's detained instructions, though. But, I like the idea of suggested activities in a jar. I did something similar, one year, with questions written on slips of paper in a jar for my daughter - she played it with two of her friends one Christmas, each taking a turn to pull out a question and answering it.

    I'm not sure why your stores are out of allspice, but, if you need a substitute, I've read that an equal mixture of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves make a blend that is very similar to allspice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far this calendar would be appropriate for any time of the year as there isn't a Christmas related activity. I will enjoy the discipline of a mindfulness activity every day and will be able to use them again during the year as well.

      Thanks for the suggested substitute. That's what I will use, assuming I can get hold of some cloves!

      Delete
  3. Some very bizarre items seem to be out of stock. I haven’t been able to get preserving sugar from Tesco’s fo weeks even months. Possibly a packaging issue?
    I guess you are now in tier 2 so you could have a game in your garden with 6 people I believe. The downfall is that the facial expressions may be related to being frozen stiff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be a packaging issue. I'll try Bless' suggested substitute.

      I did think about an outside game but, as you say, it's just too cold for anything like that.

      Delete
  4. I like the jar Advent & the randomness of it. Our J/L online Advent Calendar had a glitch the first day, so not a full start on that, but I also started journaling December for my December Daily album. I think because of lockdowns close to & through Christmas, most will be home for the first time for Christmas. Christmas trees, lights & decorations are in short supply this side of the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get the JK calender to work properly. I've never done a December Daily album. It will be interesting to look back and see just how different your 2020 December is.

      Delete
  5. This Advent calendar would make for fun times and good memories. A wonderful idea :)

    I still have Allspice from last year and haven't looked in stores. I know dried orange peel has been nigh on impossible to find in local groceries the last several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it so far ... I'm glad I opted for a different approach this year rather than the usual 'chocolate behind the door' one.

      That's an idea ... I might ask around to see if family have any allspice going spare.

      Delete
  6. Happy Advent! Your calendars sound good.
    Oh, allspice is it now? I have been waiting probably six weeks for Lidl to get my favourite fruit tea in - now they have sold out of all herbal teas, and the 75% chocolate availablity is increasingly sporadic... It's so weird. Earlier in the year I couldn't find mustard seeds anywhere, or red wine vinegar... It's the unlikeliest stuff! Good luck with sourcing some allspice. (I might put my pot on e-bay!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the supermarkets are struggling to cope with the increased interest in home baking during the lockdowns.

      I'd keep hold of it - you don't know when there will be supplies on the shelves again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts