Wednesday

In the garden ...

I'm delighted that the burgundy clematis, which was moved from the back wall of the house and replanted against the side fence, has settled in and is now flowering 

I didn't compensate for the bright sunshine, sorry! The rambling rose is flowering.

another allium ready to flower

the fuchsias are covered in buds

Yesterday turned out to be a lovely day and my mood brightened as the day progressed. I met J for a long lunch and that was just the perfect medicine for both of us. We're hoping to meet again next week, probably for a coffee and a walk.

Today will be a bit quieter and for the most part, spent at home. It's the Nutrition class this morning and, if I've remembered correctly, it's a recap of some of the topics we've already covered. Then the Tesco delivery is scheduled to arrive between 11am and 1pm; I was going to shop in store but the list was getting so long I opted for a delivery instead as I tend to get a migraine if I stay in the big supermarkets for too long. That delivery will bring the rest of the ingredients for the new recipes so I can make a start on a new-to-me ragu sauce recipe as soon as it arrives - this recipe has lots of hidden veg to help with getting my 5 a day.

We were originally forecast for rain today but that has now changed, although there is still a thunder warning in place. If it does stay dry I'll be going out later this afternoon to try for some photos of birds; the swans at the marina have cygnets so that will be my first stop but it depends on being able to get in a good position without upsetting them in any way. If not I can try in BoA to see if the kingfisher or the heron are near the town bridge. 

It's the final of The Great British Sewing Bee tonight, so that's a must watch - I'd really love Serena to win but I think that honour may go to Raph. I've surprised myself by enjoying Joe Lycett's humour in this series and I'm debating whether to get a ticket for his 2022 tour - I usually find him quite irritating so can't decide whether I could sit through a whole evening of his particular style of humour. Afterwards I'll watch the final episode of The Great British Photography Challenge on iPlayer to see which one of the contestants is declared as the  winner. With only four episodes, it hasn't been going long enough to really get to know the competitors so I don't have a favourite and don't mind who wins.

Comments

  1. Your flowers look lovely. I have three different fuchsias which are flowering and I should take some photos although I didn't cut them back last autumn with being unwell so one plant is rather too bushy. I think Serena may win the Sewing Bee but I would like to see Raph win. I've only seen Joe Lycett shows on the TV but I do like his humour. I hope it stays off rain and you manage to photograph the cygnets today, aren't they just so cute and fluffy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fuchsias were a Christmas gift of 5 different varieties pre-planted in a single hanging basket, which M transferred to a pot for me. I have no idea what varieties are there so it's going to be a surprise!

      Serena and Raph have both been good all the way through so I don't mind which one wins .... but fingers are crossed for Serena 😊

      It doesn't look like rain at all so I should at least be able to see the swans and their babies even if I can't get any photos - I don't have a particularly long lens and Daddy swan is very protective and aggressive, so it depends whereabouts in the marina they are.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers - your garden must look a real picture.

    I enjoyed the photography challenge very much - a shame it has finished now. Four episodes didn't feel long enough really.
    Is it really the Sewing Bee final - I suppose it must be. I will miss that too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I'm debated about filling the hanging baskets. I wasn't going to bother this year but now I have the hosepipe, they'll be much easier to water so I may put them out if I can pick up some really cheap plants.

      The sewing bee will be available on iPlayer if you can't watch it tonight. I've enjoyed the photography challenge so far and agree that four episodes really wasn't enough although I did like the different format where there wasn't an elimination every week.

      Delete
  3. Your rambling rose is beautiful! A real old fashioned looking rose. Good luck photographing the signets. How exciting to be able to see a Kingfisher, I would love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've grown to love it but was disappointed with it at first - it was labelled as a white rose and that is the final colour of each bloom but they go through all the different colour changes first!

      I've been told where to see some otters so I may go there instead. It depends on what time the supermarket delivery arrives as to whether I get out at all today!

      Delete
  4. Both the clematis & rambling rose are gorgeous. Good decision to move the clematis & it is thanking you with lots of flowers (wait until next year!). I've looked for both the sewing bee & photography shows, neither have arrived on this side of the pond on a channel I can get. We really enjoy The Repair Shop (thank you to both you & Lady Ella). Hope the swans & babies co-operate with your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at this video which explains how to watch GBSB from anywhere in the world. In the comments someone from Canada has said that they got it to work for them. What it doesn't tell you is if it is possible to view shows that have already aired. Oh and it says BBC2 but GBSB is now on BBC1! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bstK7x-fO54

      I'm still waiting for the food delivery so haven't tried to see the swans or otters yet ... that's for later!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that help to watch the Sewing Bee & Photograph shows. OTTERS - oh wow that would be SO wonderful to see them.

      Delete
    3. I don't know if that service is free and also haven't looked into the legality of it either.

      I didn't go out today - see tomorrow's post - but I am excited about the possibility of seeing some otters.

      Delete
  5. Lovely pics. I moved my fuchsias from pots into the ground last autumn because "someone" told me to...and they have died. Grr! Hope you have success with your photography mission. Hope to see the results but I guess I'd better avoid coming here till after the weekend as I watch the GB Photography Challenge on Saturdays. Rooting for Paul, Georgia or Ali. (Re. Repair Shop, did you see Jay Blades got a gong? 😮😮😮)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I won't mention any of the winners until I'm sure everyone has watched the programmes.

      Jay Blades - what for? 🤨🤨🤨 I've just looked it up - an MBE for services to craft. That's a real kick in the teeth for the real craftsmen and women on the show.

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly! I think he adds little or nothing to the show, nor to anything else
      I've seen him on. I suspect a certain amount of box-ticking. (Sorry if that's un-PC but I can perhaps get away with saying it where others maybe wouldn't feel comfortable.)

      Delete
    3. I think his contribution to the show, such as it is, is embarrassing and it would be a much better show without him. I have never understood his popularity. I do agree with your last sentence.

      Delete
  6. Your garden flowers look so great! I love your clematis (won't grow in my area; too hot!) and the rambling rose. I'm glad the garden hose worked out so well for you. :) Hope your delivery arrived and you received everything you ordered. Sorry you couldn't go out to take the photos, after all, but, that just gives you something to look forward to on another day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I should have given in and bought a hose ages ago, it's made a huge difference.

      I didn't get everything on the order this time - no chicken thighs so can't do my new recipes until I go shopping, hopefully tomorrow.

      I don't mind missing out on my photo walk - I had a much better time, which you'll read in tomorrow's post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts