Thursday

In the garden ...


... the white rose is looking good and is full of flowers this year - I think it heard us talking about whether to remove it or not. It's definitely staying but will be cut right back once it finishes flowering as the previous gardener removed the centre of the plant and the majority of the flowers are right at the top, out of my reach. The gladdies are looking good and the two newer fuchsias are still full of flowers. 

Yesterday turned out to be a reasonably productive day despite still feeling completely drained of energy. I watered the garden twice, doing the pots with the watering can first thing and then using the hose to water the entire garden last night. I also cleared some of the tomato plant leaves as mentioned by Joy over on her blog

The nutrition session about meal planning was interesting with several suggestions on how to approach it but nothing new to me so I will keep going with my own method and make a bit more effort to stick to it! 

The decluttering took up a good part of the day. I've placed most of the adverts for the items I'd previously taken photos of so now it's a case of waiting to see if they sell. I've also decided on the wording for some of the more obscure items and have sent that over to one of my late partner's friends to see if my attempts at describing the items are correct. 

Once that was done I devoted the rest of the day to phone calls with friends, naps, reading, and researching the local piano teachers. There is a huge difference in the price they charge so that will inevitably play a part in my final choice - the most expensive so far was £27 for a 30 minute lesson and the cheapest was £12 for the same. A couple only offered hour long lessons and quite a few were geared up for taking exams, which I don't think I want to do, so I'm still looking. I'm sure there was someone in the village who advertised piano lessons but I couldn't find his/her details anywhere online so maybe I've remembered incorrectly. Anyway, the search continues!

Today it's the Indian cookery at 1 pm and today's recipe is Punjabi Pakora Kadhi, which I doubt I will make for myself - it's a yoghurt based curry and they aren't my favourite. The link is to the result of a google search so isn't the exact recipe we'll be following. 

We're promised showers today but I'm hoping to dodge the raindrops and get out for a walk at some point ... I need some fresh air and a change of scene. Apart from that, I'll carry on looking for a piano teacher, decide on the best way to sell a coin collection, and look for an Italian conversation group.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:
  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)

Comments

  1. The flowers look really lovely. I swear they understand 'last chance, mate' comments, I really do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my teacher voice ... that may have helped! 😂😂😂

      Delete
  2. Your rose is beautiful and I'm glad it's being given a second chance. You got plenty done yesterday and I hope the weather stays fine for your walk today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first rose I planted at this house and I love it so want to do everything possible to save it. I don't know why the previous gardener chopped out the middle of the plant as it wasn't diseased or anything but it now looks odd and very top heavy.

      I'm pleased with what I achieved yesterday even though I didn't move far from the sofa! It's fine so far today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a walk.

      Delete
  3. That white rose is gorgeous and those fuchsias are so beautiful. Last Friday I visited my uncle,the one who lives at my late grandparents' home, and it was so sweet to see that he still has my grandma's lovely fuchsias in the garden...

    You had a quite busy day yesterday, I hope you have another good one today and you can go for a walk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that your uncle has kept the fuchsias in the garden. I associate fuchsias with my childhood so I'm happy that I found some varieties small enough to be container grown.

      Today isn't quite as productive but just as enjoyable ... a surprise visit from a friend I haven't seen for ages put paid to my plans but there's always tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. Well done to your white rose surviving a misguided "trim" from previous gardener. With a proper trim it will, I am sure, flourish next year. Sounds like a productive day in a gentle way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't understand why she removed the middle of the plant but hopefully M will be able to sort it out.

      I'm pleased with what I achieved yesterday ... I get bored placing the adverts so it's a relief to get some of them placed and now fingers crossed for some quick sales.

      Delete
  5. The rose is beautiful and so are the gladioli and the fuchsia. I wonder if your previous gardener removed the center of the rose to open it up? No doubt a good pruning will help. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished, yesterday, and how nice to have a friend visit, today! Hope you've enjoyed some pleasant dry weather. :) Well done on the decluttering, too. I'd have been tempted to try and sew elbow patches on the cardigan to hide the holes and that's why I can't declutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the previous gardener just liked cutting things right back! It used to have a really good shape and was growing properly on the trellis and now it's lacking any real strength at the centre of the plant. M will sort it out though!

      It was a good day yesterday and a complete surprise to see my friend.

      The cardigan isn't in good enough condition to consider patching. I don't know why it was in the cupboard as it should have been thrown away ages ago. Haha, I think you find decluttering much harder than I do. Does your daughter take after you or does she find it easy to get rid of stuff?

      Delete
    2. My daughter finds it easier to declutter. I'm constantly looking for ways to reuse, repurpose, recycle just about everything!

      Delete
    3. My late partner was like you ... I used to despair at some of the things he wanted to keep! 😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts