Monday

 In the garden ...


... the other new rose, Claire Austin, is putting on a lovely display. I've tried to capture the various stages in these photos.

The next few weeks are going to be much the same which makes for a really dull 'This Weeks' post so I won't be bothering with them for a while. A big chunk of my time will be focused on the decluttering and generally pretending that I know what I'm doing in the garden, and I will be continuing with the online classes, as well as my usual reading, Italian practice, family tree research, and piano practice. However, I also want to make the most of the remainder of the summer, such as it is, so will be out and about as much as possible.

I will be visiting The Newt in Somerset as soon as I sort out membership. It's about 45 minutes drive away so not too far and very do-able in terms of visiting frequently to get the best value from the annual membership fee. I'm especially interested in the aerial walk through the tree tops which should allow for some different sorts of photos and also an opportunity to photograph their deer herd.

It's also time for the Heritage Open Days so I've chosen a couple of places that I'd like to visit - the Eyre Chantry Chapel in Bath which is a privately owned chapel so not usually available to the public, and St Mary's Church in Devizes as it's due to become a community centre for arts and live music so I want to see it before the building is changed forever. Of course it's never straight forward and considering I rarely go out nowadays it seems that both of these clash with a couple of the very few entries already in the diary ... a bit of jiggling of times is required to fit everything in!

The new online choir has the potential to be very good. There were teething problems during the first session which is to be expected but I like the format. It's an hour long session which starts with a brilliant vocal warm up followed by a few minutes of music theory - we will be singing from sheet music so these little theory snippets are to help demystify the notation for those who don't read music. The rest of the session was devoted to learning our first piece - 'Sounds of Silence' but a new arrangement by Joseph, the choir leader. The only thing I didn't like and which I hope he can improve on is that the music is viewed from his shared screen so he had to scroll through the music as we were singing, but it was very jerky and difficult to follow when the line you were reading suddenly jumped to the top of the screen. I ended up with a headache! 

The biggie for this week is getting to see Baby R. I've seen him via doorstep visits and video calls during his first year of life but now that both of his parents are fully vaccinated I can get to meet him in person. 😀

 *************************

My September decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = 2 stained storage boxes (to be recycled)
  • 2nd = a band fleece (only worn once so returning it to the band as I will never wear it again) 
  • 3rd = 3 sci-fi books (gifting to L)
  • 4th = digital photo frame (never used, sold to H)
  • 5th = a measuring jug (to be donated as I never use it)
  • 6th = a band tie (returning to the band)

Comments

  1. Your rose is beautiful and just as you initially described it. It's like summer has returned and definitely take the opportunity to get out and about and I hope you can arrange the times so they don't clash with the other events in your diary. It'll be lovely to see Baby R and give him a cuddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with both of the new roses. This one is more of a cream colour than appears on the screen and eventually fades to a white.

      I have been able to rearrange the time of one thing. The other clash is my flu jab which I don't want to reschedule so I will just go to the heritage day later and maybe miss, or be late for, the Saturday choir.

      I can't wait to see Baby R!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of the rose's progression, it seems to be a charming old fashion rose. I also have a couple things left on my "I want to do" summer list. Most of our outings are timed as in how long can our bladders last as most rest rooms are not open as yet to the public. (col). Meeting the newest member of your family sounds like the most perfect planned activity of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most rest rooms are open but I prefer to avoid them at present, so my trips out are usually restricted to a couple of hours maximum. I've made a little list of things I'd like to do this week but to be honest, I'll be perfectly happy of all I manage is to see Baby R 😃

      Delete
  3. Well it sounds like lots going on there, and that you very deliberately plan places to visit. I could take a lesson in that department. The rose photos show that you clearly know something about your garden, that is just lovely, and Claire seems like the appropriate name.

    Enjoy your visit with Baby R, whom I can only suppose is really, really, really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know myself and if I don't plan, or at least have a vague idea of where I can go, I will just stay at home or maybe just drive round for a while. I feel much better when I go out, even if only occasionally, so this is my way of making myself get out of the house ... if that makes sense?

      Honestly, I have very little gardening knowledge. I recognise all the plants because I chose them and can cope with watering and dead heading, but that's my lot. Anything else is down to M the gardener.

      Baby R is a delight 💙

      Delete
  4. Your new rose is beautiful! I love how you photographed each stage of it blooming. I like your plans for the summer outings and hope you'll share pictures with us as you visit each place. The Newt in Somerset looks like a really interesting place to visit! I hope your plans for the week ahead works out smoothly and you get some extra cuddle time with Baby R! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I'm looking forward to visiting The Newt and exploring everything it has to offer. A few of my friends have posted photos on Facebook and it looks amazing.

      I'm trying to arrange when I can visit R - I have to fit in with parents working, baby care, and my own commitments, so it's not that easy to find a time and day we can all agree to. We'll get there though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts