Monday

 In the garden ...


... there's still a good variety of plants in flower but some of the annuals are nearing the end. The dwarf sunflower plants, while starting to look quite tatty, are still producing lots of bright yellow loveliness, while the marguerites continue to flower prolifically ... both have made the list for next years annuals. The fuchsias continue to delight with their bright colours and are loved by the bees; I was trying to photograph the bees but missed completely in the first fuchsia photo and only captured the ends of the wings in the second one!

It was a quiet weekend and I'm aiming for a reasonably relaxed week. We're promised sunny days all week so, at the time of writing this, I am hoping to be out every day to meet up with either family or friends. I already have a couple of things arranged - I'm going round to Joy's home this morning and will be meeting L for a late lunch tomorrow in Winsley. I have texted to arrange an after school visit to see C & H to meet their new kittens, and a visit to see Baby R, but am waiting to hear back on those. 

We're rapidly approaching the end of September which means that I need to get on and find the rest of my photos for the SPSH and my monthly photo challenge. I'm thinking of driving to different locations for my daily walks to see if I can finish off both of the photo lists this week.

I downloaded a new book to my Kindle yesterday - 'Annie Stanley, All At Sea' by Sue Teddern. I don't usually pay too much for books but this one is currently only available in hardback at a price I wasn't prepared to pay so although the Kindle version wasn't much better it's a similar price to what I'd pay for paperbacks, so I treated myself. This book is the one to be discussed by the online book group on October 1st, so I have plenty of time to read it. The story appeals to me anyway, but the thing that pushed me into deciding to join this particular class is that on October 22nd there is also a 'meet the author' session with Sue Teddern, and I find those interesting. 

It's the style class this afternoon but it'll be finished early enough to fit in a bit of shopping before the schools finish for the day and the shops get busy. Lidl is the closest supermarket so I can pop in quickly to pick up some bread, fruit, and veg. I've decided it's time to do some bulk cooking for the freezer ... soup weather is definitely here!

Comments

  1. Your flowers and photos are always beautiful. I have three fuchsia plants which are still blooming as it's not too cold for them yet. Hoping for a sunny week too and you have lots of visits planned which I hope go ahead for you. I just had a quick read about the novel and looks an interesting read "about love, loss and the importance of living life to the full", how true that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought my fuchsias had given up for this year but the sunshine last week revived them and they're all blooming again.

      Today didn't quite go according to plan but I should see everyone I want to this week as most are indoors/under cover.

      Yes, living life to the full feels even more important in the current situation.

      Delete
  2. Hasn't your garden blossomed (literally and the other way) this year. You must be so pleased with how it is going now; it looks stunning.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I absolutely love the changes that were done this year, and next year is all about improving/enhancing the pots and creating another seating area ... more about that in future posts though! xx

      Delete
  3. I love all the flowers and color in your garden! It looks so beautiful! Sounds like you will be having a wonderful week, ahead. I hope you have great weather and get to do all the things you've planned to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm making the effort to meet up with people this week. It's so easy to let things drift and realise that it's days/weeks since we last met so I'm trying to make more effort on that side of things while I can.

      Delete
  4. I caught up with your weekend posts & I have to say those Pentstemons are gorgeous as is the one pictured today. It reminded me - where are mine?? Gone it seems :(

    Plans for a slow gentle goodbye to summer week sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The penstemons are pretty plants and an easy way of adding a bit of height where needed. I hope yours are just resting for this year!

      It's hopefully going to be a fairly social, but easy, week.

      Delete
  5. I love the penstemons too. A discovery for me this year. My parents have some lovely ones and I have requested cuttings of a couple of my favourites. Mum has also taken cuttings of some fuchsias for me, as I lost two of mine this year. "Someone" told me to put them in the earth and that did for them. Grrrr! ;o) I have a yellow daisy a bit like yours (was meant to be a rudbeckia but isn't) and I love it. A big splash of colour just as everything else is coming to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The penstemons are just right for my garden. They're new to me ... M kept mentioning them but I sort of ignored her suggestions, so it serves me right that it took so long to get them in the garden!

      Good luck with the fuchsias. Some of mine are grown as annuals (a gift from a friend) but the two I bought are perennials. They're all growing in pots so they'll be moved up to the back wall of the house to provide a bit more protection during the winter months.

      My yellow daisy is a dwarf sunflower. It's given a lovely splash of colour so will definitely feature in next year's plans.

      Delete
    2. Dad said mine might be a type of dwarf sunflower but the leaves are more daisy-like.
      How do you/does M pronounce penstemon? I have always heard PENstemon around here, but on Gardeners' World on Friday, Frosty was saying "penSTEMon". Is it a "clemAYtis/CLEMatis" situation, I wonder...

      Delete
    3. We both say PENstemon. I've not heard anyone locally moving the stress to the middle syllable.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts