Tuesday and a Garden Update

Let's do the garden update first. Actually it's more a 'thinking out loud' post to do with the plans for next year. Once the new fence is in place (still waiting on price and date) the priority will be to deal with any damage to the existing planting and move other plants around where necessary. It all depends on when the fencing work is done, but at the latest this planting/moving will be done in early spring. Then the focus for the year is switching to the pots, which take on a big role in my ideas for the garden.

The main focus will be on this area. I rarely show it in photos as it hasn't had the attention it needs, but 2022 is its time to shine! 


This area gets the sun for a while mid morning and then again from mid afternoon, and all of the plants destined for this space will need to be grown in pots. We've discussed the need to add some height so I'm looking for ideas to show M next time she's here. I've already decided against the planters that have attached trellis as I think that will make this part of the garden seem smaller and I don't really want to have anything that creates a solid or near solid barrier either. I'm thinking arches, either this idea (from edge of patio, over the path to fix on the garage wall) which is winning at the moment, or this idea (along the edge of the patio). I like the idea of the wall arch as that will add height and create an illusion of depth as well, plus if positioned correctly, will block the view of the garage door from the house. The space will probably only accommodate two, maybe three, of the arches and my idea is to grow climbers there. Can any of you more experienced gardeners see any obvious problems with this idea please? 

*********************

I didn't see Joy yesterday morning as she thinks she may be coming down with a cold and I don't want to risk passing anything on to Baby R, so that's been rescheduled to next week. My Monday social event was to see C and H instead, just a flying visit, but it was lovely to see them. On the way home I stopped off to take some photos - possibilities for the SPSH. 

I don't usually bother with the news but caught the local news yesterday and was shocked to read that one of the village schools I used to teach in has been devastated by fire. Luckily it was outside of school hours and there were no casualties but they have lost classrooms and resources so arrangements have to be made for ongoing schooling while the clear up and rebuild are organised.  

The style class continued with body shape, discussing the importance of good quality and well fitting underwear/foundation garments, and also looked at tricks to give the illusion of altering your body shape through the use of colour, neckline, vertical/horizontal lines, etc. It's too complicated to detail here and anyway it depends on what it is you are trying to achieve but, once you have established what your body shape is, you can find plenty of advice online about what does and doesn't suit your particular shape.  

Today I'm meeting L for a late lunch and a catch up. I haven't seen her in person for ages so am really looking forward to this. I have a couple of parcels to post off today which I'll do while I'm out for my walk and when I get back from lunch I want to carry on investigating the best way to sell a couple of collections. I think one of the stores in Bath offers a valuation service but I want to see what other options are available to me before I make a decision.

Comments

  1. I love arches and I think they would look delightful. It is hard to get height in a container garden and, as you say, from the house, it could hide the garage door to a considerable degree. That would work really well.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My other thought is - what is under the paving slabs at the edge. Would it be possible to have them out to make a long, thin bed of some kind, to give any climbers good root space? Looking at it, perhaps not, but it was a thought. xx

      Delete
    2. M suggested lifting some of the patio slabs but, because of the slope of the garden, that side of the patio had to be built up and it's concrete and retaining walls underneath. Whatever grows over the arches will have to be container grown ... I can't think of any practical way around that. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid I'm not a gardener but I agree arches would look lovely. It's a shame you don't have the quotes or dates for the fencing to be replaced yet. I have a very similar looking house to yours although my garage is attached and I do have grass and a couple of raised beds alongside the fence which the fencing company made for us. We replaces our fencing a couple of years ago but ended up paying for it ourselves, long saga which I'd rather forget but having the new fencing and raised beds made such a difference to the garden. Enjoy your lunch meeting today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating to still be waiting for the price to replace the fence but I also know how hard it is to get some contractors to turn up to quote. All I can do is wait! As long as the fence is replaced this winter I will be happy. Everything else will have to wait until the fencing work is done.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of your arches attached to the garage wall. We put in an arch between two windows up, two down for height & interest. The first year I grew annual morning glory over it just to get the idea of what that would look like, then I planted (in the ground) the clematis. Since you'll be growing in pots you probably need to think about weight of the vine with leaf growth, not just flower production. Lace Vine or trumpet vine both have very dense growth & becomes quite weighty, so might topple the pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of planting an annual climber for the first year. I might just do that. I'm currently dithering between climbing roses or jasmine, but this is the sort of thing that M will have lots of suggestions for me to consider. I also don't know whether I want an evergreen climber or to just focus on the summer display.

      Delete
    2. I meant rose and clematis, not jasmine!

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    A very spacious area to place your flower pots. I know nothing about gardening (just click the flowers) and unfortunately I can't help.
    I wish that all other projects are carried out.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's enough room in this space to create another seating area, which is part of the plan. Nothing will happen with this space until next year so I have lots of time to finalise my plans ... I love this stage!

      Delete
  5. I actually like the planters with attached trellises that you have decided against, but, I like the arches, too. I used to have an arch with potato vine (Solanum jasminoides), at one time. I'm wondering if it would be possible to grow a row of dwarf fruit trees in containers along the edge. (Sorry, I've fruit trees on my mind! Trying to decide if I want to get more fruit trees, tangerines perhaps, this fall).

    Glad you had a flying visit with C and H, and photos for the SPSH. I like your plans for today and hope you have a lovely lunch with L. Have a wonderful day, Eileen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think fruit trees would thrive in this area. It's not in full sun for enough hours every day and the plants that do well there are the ones that cope with light shade. I used to have a potato vine in the front garden and loved it, but it's probably too vigorous for this space. Thanks for your suggestions and apologies for sounding a bit negative.

      I did have a lovely time today. It was really good to catch up with L and we are hoping to meet again in two weeks time.

      I hope you have a great day too.

      Delete
    2. You didn't sound negative at all! You know how much sun you get in your garden and so forth; I was just tossing out ideas. :)

      Delete
    3. That's okay then! I didn't want to upset you. Your suggestions did make me think about the sunlight and the impact the arches will have on the morning sun in that area. It'll still get the afternoon sun, but any structure is obviously going to affect how much of the morning sun reaches that space.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts