Monday 18th October 2021

After a quiet weekend I fancy being out of the house today. It's supposed to rain later this morning so I'll drive into town after lunch and pick up some goodies to keep me amused during the colder months. 

I have plenty of books, too many really, so the only one I'll buy is Richard Osman's second book - The Man Who Died Twice - but only if it's on special offer somewhere. I don't think the paperback version has been released yet and I don't want to buy an expensive hardback version of a book I'll only read once. If I do get it, it'll be put away for one of my Twelve Days of Christmas gifts to myself. I'd also like to get a couple of jigsaw puzzles, one or two crafty things but no idea what, and a sketch book and set of decent drawing pencils/pens but I may need to go to my favourite shop in Frome for those. Some of these will join the new book to be opened as a Twelve Days gift but the rest will be used as and when I feel like it.

I was supposed to be meeting J for lunch but she is still isolating so we'll chat on the phone instead and hopefully meet up later in the week. I can't remember which day she'll be back in circulation!

It's the style class this morning. The last four sessions have been about colour analysis, understanding how to use the colour wheel and use colour combinations to enhance or disguise areas of your body, mixing patterns, and the pros and cons of wearing black. The challenge set from these sessions is to try to create a new outfit from your existing wardrobe using only three colours, and to try to create a second outfit mixing different patterns together. I'll try the first of these but doubt that I'll attempt the pattern mixing as I simply don't like to see different patterns worn together! Today is focused on accessories and then I think we move on to discussing how to create a capsule wardrobe, which is the topic I'm most interested in and the reason I started this class.

I'll probably watch Only Connect tonight but there's nothing else on that I fancy so I'll be settling down for an evening of family tree research once that's finished.

Comments

  1. I do like the idea of the Twelve Days of Christmas gifts to oneself. I hope you manage your outing and find some nice things to keep you occupied this winter. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice way of indulging myself 😊

      I didn't find much I liked in town so will look online this afternoon. I did get the rest of the bulbs ready for Friday though so not a completely wasted trip.

      Delete
  2. Can I ask a (silly) question? Do you have your 12 days of Christmas gifts before or after Christmas? Am thinking it's a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it last year after getting the idea from Sue C and it was lovely. Twelve little gifts, nicely wrapped and labelled, just for me, one per day from Boxing Day to Twelfth Night.
      xx

      Delete
    2. No such thing as a silly question Heather. Joy has answered your question (thanks Joy) and the Twelve Days gifts start on Boxing Day, one per day for twelve days. The before Christmas gifts which I usually do is a homemade Advent Calendar which starts on Dec 1st - one gift a day for 24 days, ending on Christmas Eve.

      Delete
    3. Thank you ladies, that does make sense. Think I may treat myself this year, just small things although I would like Richard Osman's book too. I enjoyed his first novel.

      Delete
  3. I've got that as one of my twelve days gifts - and it's the only one I have knowingly labelled as the first one to open. I'm afraid I did pay full cost - I know I can pass it on s0o others get pleasure from it as well, so that's OK.
    I've got my twelve days sorted so plenty of time to forget what's there - apart from day 1!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a bit of a change of mind about my Twelve Days gifts as I was eating breakfast after publishing this post, and am now doing it slightly differently this year. I'll write about it tomorrow. I didn't have much luck finding what I want in town so will be looking online this afternoon. Aldi didn't have any coffee makers and Wilko had one but it was a bit battered so I'll buy it online instead.

      Delete
  4. I am glad to see that you are recovered and back to blogging. I don't comment often but do check you blog regularly! My best to you, Celie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of the 12 days gifts, I may have to figure out how to incorporate that into our December plans. It sounds like the style class is informative. I didn't know there were any downsides to wearing black (oh so slimming), unless you had pets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The style class is much more interesting than I was expecting and there is so much to consider if you want to do it 'properly'. Black if worn near the face can be ageing and makes your face look heavy, highlighting dark circles under the eyes and any facial blemishes. Black also affects any colour worn with it sometimes positively as it brings out the richness of some colours but it can also have the opposite affect and can pull the brightness out of a colour. Her suggestion is to use other dark neutrals as an alternative for a softer look as you get older.

      The Twelve Days gifts are fun ... go for it!

      Delete
  6. Yeah you are back & well! I had a weekend post catch up :)

    I chuckled about the 12 days of Christmas & very pleased to see that you keep with tradition of it being AFTER the 25th. I often do the 12 days along to the song with food meal planning to match to the song - 12 drummers one year meant 12 ice cream drum sticks. This side of the pond & with the influence of our southern neighbours, the 12 days of Christmas have come to mean commercials of before the 25th for buy buy buy. I've tried to create a capsule wardrobe before without much success; mind you these days with work at home the capsule wardrobe seems to centre around yoga pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can't start until Boxing Day ... you have to do it properly! We tried matching the numbers one year but it got too expensive so we only did it that one year.

      I haven't had much luck with creating a capsule wardrobe before so I am hoping for good things from this class. That's what I plan to do once the course has finished although I will probably wait for the January sales before spending too much money.

      Delete
  7. Hi Eileen,
    Very well plan your day.
    I hope you find the book and that the style course will help you reorganize your wardrobe. It must be interesting.
    I wish you a good week.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ailime, I've ordered the book online as it was much cheaper that way. Today's style class was about accessories which was more interesting than I was expecting and I actually learned a few things even though I don't use many accessories.

      I hope you have a good week too. x

      Delete
  8. I, too, like your 12 days of gifts at Christmas! I tried doing that with my daughter one year, matching the number of gifts to the day. But, I hadn't planned it very well and towards the end, I resorted to candy (12 candy canes on the 12th day, etc.) and she wasn't very interested in candy! Although, that was not a problem as I ate most of the candy, myself! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very kind of you to help out by eating most of the candy canes 😂

      Delete
    2. I knew you'd understand! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts