The Simple Woman's Daybook - Saturday 16th October 2021

 FOR TODAY - SATURDAY 16TH OCTOBER 2021


Outside my window ... I have no idea! I'm still in bed and haven't looked outside yet but the forecast is for a cool but sunny day.

I am thinking ... about clothes and making changes to my wardrobe, although I don't plan to make any changes until I have completed the style class (about four more weeks to go). I knew before I started the class that I desperately needed to update my wardrobe but the class has make me consider the changes I want to make rather than just rushing at it! I've been looking online and am creating a virtual shopping list of clothes that I not only like but which will suit me and be practical for my lifestyle. 

I am thankful ... that family and friends who had Covid have all recovered well and that the others remain safe and well during these strange times. Also, that I have now recovered from a virus and thankfully tested negative for Covid.

In the kitchen ... I'm making soups to portion up for the freezer. It's definitely soup weather and I noticed that my meal planning for Oct/Nov includes quite a few comfort foods. 

I am wearing ... or will be once I get out of bed ... leggings, long t-shirt, and a warm cardigan.

I am creating ... a list of ideas for the next stage of the garden makeover, which will hopefully be implemented next year. I won't go into details here as I plan to write a garden update some time next week. I'm also thinking about the list for the Winter Photo Scavenger Hunt.

I am going ... shopping to treat myself to some new puzzles, books and crafty things to keep me occupied during the long winter months. The library is selling off all their DVDs, boxed sets, and CDs so I may look in to see if there is anything I fancy.

I am wondering ... whether to continue with my plan to employ a cleaner once my state pension starts at the end of November. It was always my intention to do this and I'd love to have a cleaner again but can't make up my mind whether it's still too much of a risk - I know many people have continued using cleaning services throughout the lockdowns but inviting someone into my home, albeit only once a fortnight, is a new thing for me in the current situation and I'm dithering in making a decision.

I am reading ... music theory books to refresh my understanding of chords, inversions and progressions.


I am watching ... the new series of 'Who Do You Think You Are'. The Josh Widdicombe episode was fascinating and it sounds like the Judi Dench one will be just as good. 

I am hoping ... to book an appointment at the local history centre in Chippenham. I had to cancel the last one as I wasn't well enough to go. I have a short list of records I'd like to examine and, fingers crossed, this will help me break through another gap in the family tree. 

I am looking forward to ... life expanding over the next few months, just a little, but in a way that will bring cheer to my days. More about that as it happens but it's all about adding some balance to my days - at the moment most of my interests are online and I am looking at ways to add activities that take me out of the house.

I am learning ... piano technique and revisiting music theory and am loving every minute of it. The lessons are everything I'd hoped and I can see that I have made progress since I started learning with C. Practicing properly every day hasn't proved to be the chore I thought it might be - I know have a tendency to stick my heels in when I 'have' to do things, even when it's my choice to do them and even when it's something I like - so it's a relief to find I'm actually enjoying the discipline. I think it may be because the improvement is so obvious and it's easy to see the connection, i.e. as a direct result of practicing with purpose. 

Around the house ...  I'm creating space as, bit by bit, the decluttered items leave the house. It's freeing both physically and emotionally as I near the end of the task. I haven't done much this month as I haven't felt well enough but hope to get back to it soon as I'd still like to meet my target of completing everything by December 1st. 

I am pondering ... what to do about the choir. I love singing in a group but am definitely not ready to re-join the local choir for in-person rehearsals and can't see that happening any time soon. We've been notified of other commitments for the choir so in addition to the weekly sessions there is also carol singing in Bath (which will be crowded at that time of year), a Christmas concert, and a social event. It all feels too much for me even without the added worry of non-existent social distancing and lack of mask wearing. The online choir is okay as far as it goes but in an hour long session, half of the time is taken up with the warm up and music theory and only the second half is devoted to learning the current song. However he has now said that part of the second half will be for individuals to unmute and sing for others to hear how they are doing. It's voluntary but some are keen so it's evolving into a bit of a karaoke session which is frustrating. I think I need to find another option! 

One of my favourite things ... hearing a baby laugh

A few plans for the rest of the week ... 
  • Sunday is a Zoom lunch with friends
  • Monday is the style coach class followed by lunch with J and possibly some shopping in town
  • Tuesday is a 'do as I please' day. There's nothing in the diary at all.
  • Wednesday is nutrition club, piano lesson and the style class
  • Thursday is a visit from G to cut my hair followed by the Indian cooking class
  • Friday is the nutrition focus, plus M will be here to tend the garden

A peek into my day ... today I'm hoping to get out of the house, probably for a drive round rather than a walk. I need a change of scene and some fresh air after being cooped up in the house.

A quote for today ... "Every moment is a fresh beginning.", T.S. Elliot

Comments

  1. So glad to see you posting again and to know that you have recovered from your non-Covid virus! I enjoyed reading your thoughts and plans for the upcoming week. You sound upbeat and cheerful. :) Enjoy your Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I'm feeling much better now and ready to get going again. I have plenty to look forward to as well as garden and clothing planning/dreaming to enjoy. I hope you have a good day too xx

      Delete
  2. It's good to see your blog post and I'm glad you have recovered from the virus. You have made some excellent plans. The Who Do You Think You Are episode was so interesting, who would have thought Josh Widdicombe was descended from royalty. Have a good weekend, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I think the Josh Widdicombe episode was the best one yet, even better than the Danny Dyer one. I'm glad you enjoyed it too. Sadly there's nothing as interesting in my family tree! I hope you have a good weekend too xx

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you are fully recovered again. You have been missed very much.
    I'll check playback for Who do you think . . .. I like Josh Widdicombe and it sounds very interesting.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, it feels good to be back!

      The Josh Widdicombe episode is well worth watching. It is on iPlayer and I hope you enjoy it if you do watch it. xx

      Delete
  4. So glad you have recovered from the virus! It has been a lovely surprise to see your post again.
    Enjoy your Saturday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irune, it's good to be back! I hope you have a good weekend xx

      Delete
  5. I wasn't active in blogland for a while, and didn't know you were ill. I'm glad you are all well now.

    I've seen several episodes of Who Do You Think You Are, and really enjoyed them.

    Have a great weekend, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I always enjoy WDYTYA and have seen some of the American ones as well. I'm glad that you enjoy them too.

      I hope you have a lovely weekend too xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts