The New Planters!

129/365: they're here!

After going on about them for ages the new planters are finally here ... except these aren't the ones I've been rattling on about and they don't really look that special without the trellis attached! When R went to collect them, there was only one of the model I wanted and replacement stock for the remaining two wasn't expected before September at the earliest. I didn't want to wait so went for the next size up instead, the difference being that this one has a bigger planter but the trellis part (currently in the garage) is quite a bit shorter. 

As is quite often the case when these sort of changes happen, these bigger planters are just right for the space and a much better choice as they give more space for planting. The issue of the trellis is easy to sort as it's possible to buy the taller trellis separately and that will fit in much better with the pergola structure S is going to build for me. The shorter trellis that came with the planters will be used on the back wall of the house and on the end wall of the garage so they won't go to waste. 

They won't be planted immediately as we have to line them properly before that can happen. However I'm glad to have them, not just because of the supply issues but because they solve the other problem in the garden, which is to provide a barrier between the edge of the patio and the path ... there's quite a drop down as you can see in the next photo.


*******************

On to today, and I'm playing catch up from the weekend. All plans fell by the wayside with the news that RJH (my friend's daughter) gave birth to her second child, a brother for Little Miss P. I've received lots of photos, texts and videos - the best one was of Little Miss P meeting her brother for the first time - and hope to be able to see them all later this week. 

With that news and then waiting around for the planters I didn't make it to the recycling yard so that's a priority for today or tomorrow. I've advertised a couple of things from the garage and will attempt to photograph the rest of the engineering and aeromodelling stuff this week so I can get those adverts placed this week. I've arranged to email the photos of anything I don't have a clue about to C (my late partner's friend) and he will email back the description and suggest the price to ask. I need to sort through the photography stuff and make decisions on what stays and what can go but that can wait for a while.

The other must do on the list for today or tomorrow is to finish the inventory of the freezers and cupboards and sort out a shopping list, ready for a mammoth batch cooking session later in the week.

I also have a visit to the Woodland Walk at Bowood House to fit in this week. This is my chosen outing to celebrate my late partner's birthday, which is on the 12th, but the weather doesn't look too promising on that date so I may go today as we are promised a warm, sunny day. 

Comments

  1. What a shame they only had one of the planters you wanted but these will serve a useful purpose. Wow that is a big drop in the garden and could have been quite dangerous at night if you forgot about it. That sounds lovely seeing the new baby and it will be lovely to meet him in person. I hope you have a lovely day out, a day of celebration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed at first but now I've seen the bigger ones I think they are more suitable for my garden. The smaller ones would have look a bit lost! I've never been happy about the drop at the edge of the patio and have previously used pots to create the barrier, but these planters will be much more effective.

      The new baby has the same first name as Little Man, my great nephew, so it's going to get confusing at times!

      Sadly I've had to change my plans for celebrations following news of a bereavement.

      Delete
  2. Planters look brilliant, now the joy of what to grow in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started looking for ideas ... exciting times!

      Delete
  3. Well, it sounds like the larger plants are turning out to be a win! Those look quite hefty, and I am sure you will find plenty extra to add to them. I am so happy you finally have them, it is clear they bring you joy now with even more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanne. The larger planters are definitely a much better option and now they are here I'm very pleased with how they look. Now I have all the pleasure that comes with choosing the plants.

      Delete
  4. Those planters look wonderfully capacious and they are a great barrier to that drop - it could lead to a nasty fall. I bet that they will look amazing once you have planted them up. You have a very packed week ahead. Fingers crossed that everything sells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, and I'm particularly happy that they form a decent barrier, especially now that we have another group of toddlers who'll be visiting from time to time.

      I've had to change my plans for this week following news of a bereavement.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes Plan B is the better plan ... the planters look like a great beginning. I have to make some decisions about planters for this season, there are far too many pretty flowers that I feel I must have (col). How exciting to have a new little life in yours. I hope you enjoy your outing today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plan B is certainly the better plan. I have an idea what I'd like the planters to look like but I need to have a chat with M because the climber is a little on the large size so will need to be kept in check!

      The new baby is adorable and I hope to have a cuddle with him soon. I cancelled my outing today following news of a bereavement.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like it all worked out for the best with the new planters! They will form a good barrier and fill that space very nicely. And it seems like you have sorted out the too short trellises situation, too, getting taller ones for the planters and using the shorter ones elsewhere in the garden.

    The birth of a new baby on one hand and news of a bereavement on the other. One life starts and another ends. That is the circle of life, isn't it? I hope you will still be able to celebrate the birthday of your late partner, this week, even if the visit to the Woodland Walk has to be cancelled or postponed. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That part of the patio has always lacked any character so these planters combined with the pergola will make a huge difference.

      Yes, it is the circle of life. I will still celebrate his birthday with a nice meal at the least but to be honest, I feel too sad to do anything more than that at the moment. It's the shock, I think, and I may feel differently in a day or two. xx

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the new baby. The new planters look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, the planters certainly look the business! I do pity you though, having to visit garden centres and look through catalogues for inspiration and ideas on how to fill them. I know you find it such a chore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking around garden centres and online site looking for inspiration has indeed been a chore. Thank you for understanding! 😂😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts