Thursday 5th May

125/365: spirea

After a bad start, yesterday worked out just fine. I'd started to eat my breakfast but had to stop, take my meds, and go back to bed with a full blown migraine. It was so bad that I was fully expecting to have to cancel the rest of my plans for the day but the meds worked their magic and by 10 o'clock ish, I was able to try a second breakfast and get on with my day. Maybe I'm turning into a hobbit ... they have two breakfasts, don't they!

S dealt with whatever it was he wanted to do in the garage and will be back this afternoon to move everything around. I couldn't face it being done yesterday but he was really understanding about it. The piano lesson was interesting! I was well enough to be out of bed and still feeling fragile at that stage, but somehow I played better than I had all week in practice! We're now fine tuning the performance of the third piece, the theme to Braveheart, and most of the lesson was spent marking up the music and trying out ways of adding interest to various bars. I like doing this sort of thing so this week's practice will be fun.

The Fantastic Beast film was interesting. It answered some of the questions left from the previous two films in the series and the story line was better than that of the second film, where (I thought) the ending was a bit odd. Although I don't agree with Johnny Depp losing the part of Grindelwald I think I preferred the replacement actor, Mads Mikkelsen, in that role and thought his portrayal of the character was more menacing and relevant to the storyline than Depp's version. I can't rave about the film but that's more to do with the fact that, for me, the Fantastic Beasts series hasn't lived up to the promise of the first film and definitely doesn't have the charm of the Harry Potter series.

I enjoyed the Great British Sewing Bee but won't say any more than that as I know some of you sometimes watch it on catch-up. 

Today I feel at a bit of a loss ... there's nothing in the diary and even worse, there's no Indian cookery class! Thursdays just aren't going to be the same for a while! I'll have to stay at home today as parcels are expected and this afternoon, S is rearranging the storage in the garage ... my role is a supervisory one, and S will provide the muscles! 

Comments

  1. I'll be watching Sewing Bee today so thank you. I think the children made the charm in the Harry Potter films plus the fact that they were creating a whole universe for us. It is, essentially, a concept for children with some deeper meanings.
    F B is adult based and I think we approach it it quite a different way and with different expectations.
    I'm really looking forward to getting the DVD.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, I think it's the lack of the detailed back story and context that existed in the HP books but which we don't have for FB. I'll get the DVDs when they complete the series and then binge watch them - the long gap waiting for the release of this film didn't help!

      Delete
  2. I did watch most of the Sewing Bee but wasn't feeling well and missed the ending and the winning garment and who was sent went home but hubby kept me informed. I thought the making of the trainers was interesting though. I'm glad you were able to nip that migraine in the bud and S will help you today instead and being a supervisor is an important job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was interested in the trainers but don't think I'll be trying to make any myself!
      S was brilliant today and the garage is all finished 😊

      Delete
  3. Sorry your day was off to a bad start, yesterday, but, glad the meds helped and you were still able to have the piano lesson and go to the movie. Glad that S will be able to help with the garage, today, instead.
    Lots of Indian cooking videos online, if you want to watch some, since the cookery classes have ended. :)
    I watched a video on Wednesday about the Fashion Museum in Bath - have you been there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky enough to time the medication properly this time so got the best possible results and was able to do all that I wanted to yesterday. We spent the entire afternoon in the garage and it's now completed - I'm really pleased with how it looks.

      Thank you so much for your suggestion. I found loads of videos including some filmed by Monica, the class leader who is now on maternity leave.

      Yes, I've been to the Fashion Museum too many times to count. It's a popular destination for school trips and it's somewhere I used to go with Ced. It's on the list to visit again this year so I'll take some photos for you when I go.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness for the medication. I have long felt like a Hobbit! Glad that the movie answered some questions. As for Magicial Beasts, tried the first one ... I'll say no more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, fellow Hobbit!

      I read some of the reviews today. They are very mixed but most of the ones I read weren't too positive about the film.

      Delete
  5. Mads Mikkelson is an amazing actor. I haven't seen the movies, but I know that he has been brilliant in other things. And it sounds like your piano practice is paying off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen him in a couple of Marvel films and a Bond film but don't know much of his work. I liked him in the FB film and thought he brought more to the role than Johnny Depp's portrayal of the character.

      I'm slowly getting there with the piano!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts