Wednesday 11th May

131/365: after the rain
 

Hooray, a decent amount of rain at long last! We had rain yesterday and looks like it's set in again for the day today. The garden will be happy!

In the end I did very little yesterday. It was too wet to work in the garden and I decided the recycling yard can wait for a dry day. I did manage a couple of loads of washing and dealt with an enquiry about one of the items I've listed for sale, but that was about it. I spent most of the day speaking to other college friends, which was fun in a way but sad because of the reason driving the desire to make contact. I did find out that the memorial service is available via Zoom on Saturday so I think I'll take up that option rather than travelling to Newcastle, and it seems that all of our mutual friends will be doing the Zoom option as well. There are a few mumblings about meeting up in the summer to say our own goodbyes then, maybe with a service in the college chapel, but with so many living abroad I can't really see that happening.

Today is my social day. It's the nutrition class first, followed by my piano lesson, and then another trip to the cinema with L this afternoon. We're going to see Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and hopefully, L will have time to get a coffee afterwards. I'll drive myself this time so that I can do a bit of shopping on the way home, just enough to keep me going until I have time to restock the freezer and cupboards properly. 

Comments

  1. The memorial service via Zoom sounds preferable to travelling long journeys for you and your friends. Enjoy your day and trip to the cinema. Raining here today but as you rightly say the gardens need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I am really relieved that I don't have to make the journey to Newcastle. Attending the service via Zoom is a good option and preferable in the circumstances.

      We both enjoyed the film. It was raining when we went in and bright sunshine when we came out!

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for Zoom, although not the ideal way to gather & say good byes to a dear friend, but given that COVID is still lurking about, probably safe for all. Your patio in the wet seems to show so well. We are getting desperate for rain, the farmers are getting anxious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Zoom has saved the day! I've attended a couple of Zoom funerals and although not ideal, it is better than not attending.

      We've had rain on the past two days and there should be a bit more tomorrow, but could really do with a lot more.

      Delete
  3. I was going to grumble about the boasting about all the rain you have been having ... but we finally got some today, and as I know you have had some bad news recently, I shall let you off on this occasion. ;o) Hope you enjoyed the lesson, the cinema and the time with L. Definitely better to be out and about in company at times like this. I agree that zoom is favourable over a trek to Newcastle, especially if your contemporaries won't be there in person, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh go on, you can grumble if you want to! Yes, I enjoyed everything thanks, it was a good day and I'm glad I went out with L rather than staying at home alone.

      Newcastle is just too far so the zoom option is relief!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you have the option of attending the funeral through Zoom. Your garden looks good after the rain. Now, do you suppose you could arrange for it to rain a bit over here, too, please? Glad you enjoyed a quiet day, yesterday, and a more social day, today. Hope your day goes well, Eileen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you'd asked earlier about the rain ... Lady Ella asked first! The garden is looking much better after all the rain we've had, but more is needed please.
      I enjoyed both days despite the sad news. Talking it through with friends helps enormously.

      Delete
  5. I feel funerals have changed. It was already difficult as more and more people dispersed, but with Covid, things have got harder. People aren't connecting the same way, which is a shame. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the actual funeral was restricted to family and it had to take place within 24 hours. The memorial service, which is what I went to, worked well on Zoom as there were people from all over the world in attendance who wouldn't have been able to travel to Newcastle to attend in person. I agree that it is all changing and how we connect is now very different.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts